No Sound Windows 8.1

Elshelfo

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
(Windows 7) So I recently purchased a new AMD R9 290X which used only DVI-D and HDMI. At that time I had no way to use DVI as my monitor only has a VGA and an HDMI port. That did not allow me to use any audio whatsoever due to my monitor having no speakers. So I tried changing the default device, disabling and re-enabling audio in the BIOS, etc... Eventually I tried using Windows 8.1, that didn't work so I bought a new hard drive (maybe I messed something up there) then I replaced the GPU with a GTX 960 that I could use with a DVI-I to VGA adapter, still nothing.

Any help is welcomed and I would love it as soon as possible.Thanks!

Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3CXQ23

Open the Control Panel.
Select Sound.
That panel will show all sound related choices. Select one.
Click on configure and set it up the way you want it.
When you get back to the panel with all sound related choices, click on Set Default.
Click on OK.

If after doing that, you have no sound on the device you selected, go back into the Control Panel and select Troubleshooting, and under Hardware and Sound will be a Troubleshoot audio playback link. Pick that and walk through that wizard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's known video cards nowadays can do sound, but what made you think this was the only means of doing so? Your headphones kind of confuses things a bit.

As above, use the motherboard audio and select it as default playback.

recording_device7.png