I reinstalled windows XPP I do not have my Driver disks and i now have no
sound..how do i find out what driver i need??
Thanks

Raeligh wrote:
> I reinstalled windows XPP I do not have my Driver disks and i now
> have no sound..how do i find out what driver i need??

Things to think of before... eh?

Well, you either open your computer, look on a receipt, or contact those you
purchased it from. You could (if a Dell or some similar big - name) likely
use the Serial number off of it on their web page and get the specs and
drivers that way.

You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
look, etc.

There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
recommend you try two different ones:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

C-Media Sound Device
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

Good luck!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Also keep in mind that a lot of 'audio cards' are built into the
motherboard. So if this is the case and you can find the motherboard model
and manufacturer there's a very good chance they will have the driver on
their website.