Question No space for Fan on RTX2060S + Morpheus8057, looking for ideas

Jul 24, 2020
A little background for those interested:
So I have an old, slightly modded Mini-Tower from Supermicro which I absolutely love and won't change. Last year I upgraded the hardware of this build with (among other stuff) a cheap PNY RTX2060 SUPER. Turned out to be a bad idea, the first GPU fan already died. I ziptied some Noctua fans to it instead. Also the card is running pretty hot (it just has 2 heatpipes. I pinned the Clock to 1700MHz, otherwise it hits 88°C and throttles to < 1700MHz).

The question:
I'm planning to replace the stock cooler of my PNY RTX2060 SUPER with a new Morpheus 8057. However there is not enough space in my MINI-Tower. I measured 62mm between the PCB of the GPU and the bottom of the case. The Morpheus specs at 44mm and the slimmest fans I could find at 120x120x15mm, which leaves (considering 1mm sag) only 2mm breathing room for the fans...
Options I think of are:
  1. Vertical mount - not enough space.
  2. Swap the case - won't happen I love this case + it's slightly modded
  3. Install the Morpheus without fans but add 2x120mm fans to the sidepanel (has anyone done something like that before? Can't find examples)
  4. Install the Morpheus with fans and drill holes in the bottom of the case (only adds another 5mm between case and floor)
  5. Go totally DIY and mod the sidepanel so the GPU can be installed in its own little "case" attached to the outside of the panel (needs a riser cable of course)

I have never done something like that so if I'm missing something or you know that one approach will not work, please let me know. Otherwise which approach seems the most promising to you? I can't decide :confused_old:

Jul 24, 2020
Been there, done that.

A.t.m. there are two 120mm Noctua fans with more CFM than the stock fans running at 100% and forcing air into the heatsink. The card is undervolted and I kinda choked it by pinning the clock speed to now 1600MHz (which is 50MHz less than the "guaranteed boost clock") and temps are still reading ~85°C at an ambient of 22°C.

I saw this gpu do a 2000MHz clock speed easily (at least for a minute before hitting 88°C and throttling). I just don't wanna waste this potential :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS