No speakers or headphones are plugged in error

Nov 14, 2018
*Spoiler Alert* They are plugged in!
Week old Windows 10 desktop won't recognized when a speaker/headphone is plugged into the 3.5mm jack on either the back I/o or the front of the case. I've tried both the Realtek Audio drivers on my mobo's manufacture's website without success. In the Sounds ->Playback window 2 Digital Display Audio devices are shown "Not plugged in" and no other sound devices are displayed. My monitor does not have built-in speakers and am completely without sound. I have tried re-installing windows al well.

I'm not sure what else to do other than RMA my mobo or buy a usb sound card.

Windows 10 Pro
Mobo: Msi B450 Gaming Plus AC
Cpu: Ryzen 3 2200g

Update: I've notice the driver for Sound, video and game controllers is an "AMD High Def Audio Device" the same that's displayed in the Playback window. It's like the system is trying to force sound through the HDMI cord. My monitor has no speakers and is actually a dvi monitor using a dvi to hdmi cord...

Ralston18

Titan
Do some addtional troubleshooting:

1) Run the built in Windows 10 troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

2) Try other headphones on your desktop

3) Try you headphones on another computer.

See if problem follows the headphones or stays with the computer.

4) Reinstall the audio drivers via Realtek's website instead the Motherboard's website.

Nov 14, 2018
1) The trouble shooter only gives options for trouble shooting the Digital Display Audio
2&3) I have multiple speakers and headphones that work with everything but the pc
4) I tried to find them on realtek's site but could not locate them

Ralston18

Titan
Okay: will work from the premise that the pc (not headphones or speakers) is the location of the problem.

Did you open the case and check all internal audio connections? Ensure that all cables are fully and firmly in place.

And try the troubleshooters again. That "Digital Display Audio" may be amiss.

Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right hand screen corner. Select "Troubleshoot sound problems" therein.

Nov 14, 2018
I've checked and recheck the wires inside the case.

Running the trouble shooting on the Digital Display Audio - AMD High Def Audio Devices results with the Audio parable doesn't appear to be plugged in. Check the connection.

Nov 14, 2018
Monitor is displayed as AOC 2250W in the Advanced display settings window; Windows auto installed the driver when I checked but still no sound.

Motherboard HDMI out -- HDMI to DVI cable -- Monitor DVI in
I don't have a converter box or adapter, its just a cable with HDMI on one end & DVI on the other.

Ralston18

Titan
Right click the speaker icon. Select "Open Sound settings" (Note: wording varies with Windows Build) Look for the motherboard's audio - Realtek...

And likewise: Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs. Click to see a list of devices. Also be sure that View includes show hidden devices.

Overall there are quite a number of Windows, Tabs, and Properties containing audio configuration settings. Hopefully all you need is to identify the correct audio device, make it the default, and plug in either speaker or headphones.

Look at the mixer as well.