Question No Speed Through Powerline Adapter

May 15, 2020
Hey all,

I have been troubleshooting recent issues with my TrendNet Powerline adapters. The models I have are a TPL-406E plugged into my router upstairs as the source, and the TPL-410AP two-port plugged downstairs as the receiver and wi-fi extender. The issue is that lately my Roku TV and Nintendo Switch, connected by ethernet cables to the downstairs powerline adapter, have recently have suggested no internet connection. When I connect via wi-fi to the adapter and run a speedtest, it starts at a mere 5Mbps and drops to 0Mbps.

Here is everything I have tried so far:
  • I have unplugged everything from the wall multiple times and allowed time to power cycle; this includes my modem, router, and powerline adapters.
  • I have used a paperclip to hit the reset buttons on anything that has one.
  • I have re-paired the powerline adapters.
  • I plugged my powerline adapters directly to my desktop computer to update their firmware.
  • I assigned my powerline adapter network a different SSID, password and IP address to ensure no conflict with anything else on my network.
  • I flipped the circuit breaker multiple times for the rooms in which these power line adapters and routers are located.
  • I tried different patch cables to and from the router.
  • I downloaded a Trendnet Utility to visualize the mapping of local to remote adapters, and currently see it showing a strength of 4 bars and a speed of 124 Mbps through the powerline.

I've spent an entire afternoon trying about everything imaginable that I can think of after reviewing a few threads and am still stuck. I've reset and unplugged about everything, re-paired, rebooted, and updated firmware. The utility shows a speed is being sent, but when I look at the items plugged in via wire, or through my phone via wi-fi to do a speed test, the results are consistently 0 Mbps. Any ideas on what may be going on here? Is it just time for me to get a different model? Thanks in advance for additional any suggestions.

One additional detail: I've had a few power outages/surges in the past few weeks do to weather related issues. I know that powerline adapters are not supposed to be plugged into surge protectors or power strips, so mine are all plugged directly into wall outlets. Is it possible that these adapters can get damaged by surges/outages?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
To answer the last part of your post could the adapters have been damaged by power surges. Yes.

How many devices on your network?

From each device, using the Command Prompt, ping your router a few times.

Then ping "Google" (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4).

Determine if a particular device seems to have some problems.

May 15, 2020
To answer the last part of your post could the adapters have been damaged by power surges. Yes.

How many devices on your network?

From each device, using the Command Prompt, ping your router a few times.

Then ping "Google" (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4).

Determine if a particular device seems to have some problems.

Hey Ralston,

I pinged all the devices connected to my router, and a few of them timed out, mainly some laptops and cell phones. However, when I pinged the powerline adapter directly, and every device wired to it, they had a response time of roughly 3-5 milliseconds. Is there some action I should take for any items in which the ping timed out? Disconnect them from my wi-fi completely and test the powerline wi-fi? Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Power line adapter - "every device wired to it"?

How many wired and wireless devices are connected?

Any static IP addresses? Any switches? Access Points?

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clues.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" and "arp -a" via your main computer?

Have you tried running "ipconfig /flushdns" via your main computer?