[SOLVED] No start problem. New Build. Repalaced Power Supply

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Just built this new system with the Fractal case, Gigabyte x399 Gaming Pro, EVGA supernova 650, threadripper 1920.

It is seeming to me like the front panel may not be hooked up correct because when I push the the start button nothing even happens. On the motherboard hookup for the front panel stuff the reset pw hd are all hooked up and tried a different psu already. What could I be doing wrong? I have looked over the sticky already and have been building computers for years and never experienced anything like this.

Update:

Moved the system into a new case and still the same problem.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you mean OCZ700? The OCZ Modstream? Boy, that has to be pretty old. If that is the better of the two power supplies, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a new, quality power supply. That unit has to be like 7-9 years old. Can you look on the specifications decal on the side of the unit and get the EXACT model number and Series? Maybe even post a screenshot of the specifications decal?

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
You can verify or eliminate the possibility of it being the front panel connections by removing them, and doing this.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button
Thanks I'm going to try that!

Also, even if the motherboard, cpu or other parts had an issue, wouldn't the motherboard at least fire? Since there is no noise no lights and no indication anything is happening with the button shouldn't that mean the problem lies on the equipment from front panel hookups to the buttons themselves and from the psu to the motherboard.

No, not necessarily. Without functional memory or CPU, you might get error codes, if you have a Qcode display on that board or a system speaker attached, but in some cases it may simply do nothing at all. Could be bad memory, bad CPU, bad motherboard, bad case switch or wiring, or bad power supply.

What are the model numbers for BOTH power supplies you have tried? How long has each of those units been in service?

Have you tested them manually to verify that they actually have adequate output?

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
No, not necessarily. Without functional memory or CPU, you might get error codes, if you have a Qcode display on that board or a system speaker attached, but in some cases it may simply do nothing at all. Could be bad memory, bad CPU, bad motherboard, bad case switch or wiring, or bad power supply.

What are the model numbers for BOTH power supplies you have tried? How long has each of those units been in service?

Have you tested them manually to verify that they actually have adequate output?

I haven't done that kind of testing but I did switch the new motherboard, cpu, ssd to the case/power supply that I used for my old system and it still wouldn't fire. Conversely, I switched everything from old system to the new case and new supply supply and it fired right up. The old power supply that works is an OCW700.

Do you mean OCZ700? The OCZ Modstream? Boy, that has to be pretty old. If that is the better of the two power supplies, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a new, quality power supply. That unit has to be like 7-9 years old. Can you look on the specifications decal on the side of the unit and get the EXACT model number and Series? Maybe even post a screenshot of the specifications decal?

Solution

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018

Yea the OCZ700 is for my old i5 2500 system built in 2011 I believe.

It turned out that I was coincidentally trying to use two bad wall outlets. I got an extension cord out and ran to a different outlet and everything worked fine.

See, I was pretty sure this was a power related issue. Even so, I would HIGHLY recommend that you replace that unit with a quality, new unit.

You do NOT want to put your expensive hardware at risk with a very old power supply, and that's exactly what you'll be doing. SOME very high quality power supplies being sold now have 7, 10 or even 12 year warranties, and they are designed to last that long. Back in 2011, most very good units were not designed to last longer than five years under demanding conditions, or at all for that matter, and since that one is now 8 years old it is a prime candidate for something bad to happen from using it.

I'd take a look at my recommendations thread and consider getting it replaced. Glad you got it sorted out though. Get those outlets fixed before you have a bigger problem, like a fire.