No Thermal Paste- Mayonnaise Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Don't tell me to buy thermal paste because right now it is impossible for me to go to an electronics store or buy it off the internet.

So this article told me that mayo is the best alt thermal paste.

But since mayo isn't made for thermal paste, are there any problems with it? Will it dry really quickly? How conductive is it?

Solution
You don't need AS5, but its cheap. Normally $5-$7 bucks. And no, don't use it without it. All the micro holes will colect air and the heat wont transfer properly.

Mainly because it will just burn up when the CPU hits higher temps and later spoils.

You can get at least a basic compound from Best Buy and any of the decent ones, like AS5, at a local PC shop.

Use mayo for what its best at, sandviches.....

e56imfg

Distinguished
Ok fine. I haven't replaced the thermal paste in years, maybe June 2009. I'm running an ol' Brisbane, Athlon X2 64 5000+ @2.6.

I haven't done anything to clean this HTPC (dust it, wipe it with a cloth) so it's a bit... filthy.

I don't do any gaming, just web surfing, YouTube, and some iTunes encoding. I just bought a Metro Duster Vac a while ago but I was to busy to dust it out.

Since the thermal compound is dried up, can I just remove it and use it without thermal paste until I have time to buy some AC5?

e56imfg

Distinguished

Ok thanks. I'll just try to get some when I have time.

G

did you actually look at the chart? it WORKS! :)

btw, it would not spoil, since real mayo is oil and eggs, the oil is a good heat conductor and the egg would cook.

Sure it works. For a time. They didn't use it for that long. And most people don't know the difference between real mayo and "mayo".

Still its not the best to use when you can get something like AS5 for pretty cheap and it will do a better job and not have the possibility of moving around over the CPU to the components.

Next they should test Mt Dew. Its an Extreme drink, maybe it will be an extreme TIM.

G

good idea, always got some dew in the fridge . . . but diet. but i don't think a sempron 2800+ would be much of a bench. though if i run accross some ddr2 6400 i'll try it out on a OC'd E5300 and let you know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.