No Top Exhaust Fan on Thermaltake Core V21

AiramNairb

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hello I just purchase a Thermaltake Core V21 and it's going to arrive this week so I'm planning for the fan configuration. I want to use a horizontal mobo configuration and put the window panel on top. I wonder if it's going to be okay temperature wise considering there will be no exhaust fan on the top.

I have a Ryzen 3 1300x and Palit GTX 1060 Jetstream Edition. Here's an image on how I would like to set up my fans

https://prnt.sc/jwp5mk

Solution
I'm running a core V21, but I keep the panel on the side so heat can rise out the top, and to keep it from getting dusty (I can't imagine the plastic will hold up well to repeated wiping). That being said, it won't cause any significant issues. That case has tons of airflow. If you add a 140mm at the rear (right by the processor too) you'll be in even better shape. So in short, having the panel on top will be fine.

Also, I added 2 140mm side fans...didn't do anything. The front fan that comes with it, and the rear exhaust fan are all you need in that case.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
I'm not sure but I would try and make sure the CPU cooler fan is blowing over the GPU towards the rear of the case if at all possible. I would think that wit the heat naturally rising away from the motherboard it should be ok though.

caledbwlch

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I'm running a core V21, but I keep the panel on the side so heat can rise out the top, and to keep it from getting dusty (I can't imagine the plastic will hold up well to repeated wiping). That being said, it won't cause any significant issues. That case has tons of airflow. If you add a 140mm at the rear (right by the processor too) you'll be in even better shape. So in short, having the panel on top will be fine.

Also, I added 2 140mm side fans...didn't do anything. The front fan that comes with it, and the rear exhaust fan are all you need in that case.

Solution

AiramNairb

Commendable
May 21, 2016

My issue is that the cable management below can be ugly, as some reviews said due to the long cables by the I/O. Also you mentioned that you're concerned of the plastic holding up to repeated wiping. What do you mean by that? Do you think the window panel will bend if you put enough constant pressure due to wiping on it?

caledbwlch

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Just FYI, but I have my window panel on the right side (facing the front). Most pictures show it on the left. If you put it on the right, and have an SSD mounted there like I do, you can't really see any more of the cables than you would from the top. Plus GPUs typically have fans facing the left side, so you'll still get good airflow from that direction, and heat rising out of the top.

AiramNairb

Commendable
May 21, 2016

I see. Thanks for your input. Just in case what's your cpu and gpu and their temps under load? Plus the ambient temperature in your area if it's okay. I wanna do some comparison when it arrives

caledbwlch

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Ambient temperature is probably 75F (24C). I am running an i5-4690@3.9Ghz on all cores, and runs at about 55-60C full load using a Hyper 212-EVO. Typical temps are 47-55C. My old GTX 1050 Ti was running an Accelero Mono cooler and hit 40C full load (awesome cooler). I just upgraded to a GTX 1060 6GB SSC, and that runs at exactly 73C at full load with the fans pretty much idling. If you crank the fans up to 100% the temp drops to 63C, but it was so loud my dog actually started barking from across the house.

AiramNairb

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Alright, I'm running a Ryzen 3 1300x and GTX 1060 with an ambient temp of 30-33 degrees Celsius (tropical country) and see what will the temps be after the case arrived. I'll update this in about a week

AiramNairb

Commendable
May 21, 2016
UPDATE: The case arrived, looks neat af, except for the acrylic panel lol it already has scratches due to wiping, I'm planning to mod the case and replace the acrylic with a tempered glass.

Anyway I ran furmark at 1080p and the temps for my GPU barely reached 70 Celsius and FFXV at High Settings and the temp peaked at 66 degrees Celsius. The temps seem to have really gone down compared from my previous case. The ambient temp right now is 28 Celsius (rainy season) but it doesnt make much difference since I've tried to play FFXV at High Settings during a cold rainy day on my previous case but the temps have never gone down below 70 Celsius, even with the acrylic panel put at top.

Btw my fan setup is the usual 200mm front fan intake, one 120mm intake fan blowing air into the GPU, and another 120mm fan as exhaust at the rear.