[SOLVED] No turbo boost on Prime95

Aug 9, 2019
Hi there,

I've got a Ryzen 7 3700X on a Asus Tuf Gaming X570-plus (wi-fi) mobo.

I noticed that with no DOCP profile, my CPU would not go over 3600 MHz base clock speed so I turned it on and I have some 4400 MHz peaks, as it should be.

However when I stress test my CPU with Prime95 Small FFTs Torture test, my CPU peaks at 3600MHz maximum and never goes over this limit even though during normal use, both on HWiNFO64 and Task Manager, I see it peaking normally at higher levels, until 4400MHz.

I can't figure out what is wrong.

Solution
Yes. A 3700X has a baseclock of 3.6GHz.... So, when all cores are under 100% load, as they are in Prime95 etc, then that's a perfectly normal result.

Lighter workloads, no AVX etc, and the CPU will certainly boost higher (assuming temps are in check).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Prime95 is an all-core workload, and (newer versions at least) have AVX instructions too....
Prime95, Aida64 etc are workloads where I'd fully expect the CPU to be running at baseclock.

Stock, boosting algorithms will kick in, and you'll clock higher depending on core workload, temperature/voltage headroom & the like.... Normal use is far from the same as Prime95.

Aug 9, 2019
Prime95 is an all-core workload, and (newer versions at least) have AVX instructions too....
Prime95, Aida64 etc are workloads where I'd fully expect the CPU to be running at baseclock.

Stock, boosting algorithms will kick in, and you'll clock higher depending on core workload, temperature/voltage headroom & the like.... Normal use is far from the same as Prime95.

So even if the shown clockspeed is 3.52-3.6 GHz it means everything is working as it should?

Sorry, I couldn't fully understand.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes. A 3700X has a baseclock of 3.6GHz.... So, when all cores are under 100% load, as they are in Prime95 etc, then that's a perfectly normal result.

Lighter workloads, no AVX etc, and the CPU will certainly boost higher (assuming temps are in check).

Solution
Aug 9, 2019

It makes sense to me. In fact while doing "normal" things, my CPU jumps to the needed clock speed as needed.

So what would be an effective way to check my maximum temperatures under load?
Should I expect limit temperature values such as those displayed during Prime95 Small FFTs tests?
Or are there other means to register?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
RyzenMaster, generally- have it running & monitor how temps look during whatever workload (PRime, Gaming, general browsing etc). Prime95 in an unrealistic workload for most people, so represents the extreme upper end, numbers you'll never see in 'real world' use.

Aug 9, 2019
RyzenMaster, generally- have it running & monitor how temps look during whatever workload (PRime, Gaming, general browsing etc). Prime95 in an unrealistic workload for most people, so represents the extreme upper end, numbers you'll never see in 'real world' use.

I'm using HWiNFO64 at the moment.

I was stranged by the fact that with Prime95 running my temps sitted around not so high values such as 58-60 degrees Celsius, while on gaming it would reach higher values such as 64 degress or rarely higher.