No UEFI? How to access BIOS?

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
hello all,

I just built my PC and I am having trouble accessing the BIOS.

how do i access?

I dont have UEFI so the youtube tutorials dont help

Solution

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

sorry i dont understand, im literally new to this stuff

MB?

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

i didnt work, the boot menu starts up so fast and when i hit f11 or delete, it doesnt work

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

set my HDD as the storage drive and SSD as boot drive

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

its not working, just tried again

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

yes its working, i tried following a tutorial on youtube and I have no UEFI option to click

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

What motherboard do you have? MB (motherboard)

Check your MB manual to see what key to hit to get into the BIOS.

There are only a few number of keys to press to get into the motherboard. DEL, F1, or what ever key your manual says.

Make sure your keyboard is working during post. If keyboard is not detected during post you will never get into the BIOS.

Good luck.

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

MSI z97 gaming 5 mobo
keyboard works 100% sure

the boot menu pops up every time i turn on pc and it says press f11 or del to access but i freakin spam it and it just skips to the OS start up

my ssd is my boot drive

im trying to set my hdd as storage since it doesnt pop up on my computer

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

I see what you are trying to do.

Ok so here is something you need to check before you even go into your BIOS.

Your second HDD is not coming up because it might not be formated. You need to go into Disk Management in your windows and see if the HDD it present. If it is, just format the drive and you will be good to go.

If that does not work, how sure you are you that your keyboard works during post?

Note: POST is different that BOOT and keyboard being used in windows. If the above suggestion does not work, this is what I would like you to do to see if the motherboard is seeing the HDD.

Disconnect everything that is connected to the computer except your monitor, keyboard, and power. (Why? because sometimes other peripherals that are connected to the computer will not let you get into the BIOS. Yes I have seen this happen. EX: I connected up a monitor and then ran a USB cable from the computer to the monitor to use the USB ports on the side. After I did that, I could not get into the BIOS because by doing that for some reason it disable the keyboard till after BOOT. Remove the USB cable and I was able to access BIOS again.)

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

also you should check page 3-2 in your manual. It tells you all the options you have to get into your BIOS and for the record, since you do have a new gen motherboard you do have UEFI BIOS. as also confirmed by the manual on page 1-5.

Also in your manual is clearly states:

IF Fast Boot mode is enable you have to click the "GO2BIOS" tab on the MSI Fast Boot utility screen or press the "GO2BIOS" Button on the motherboard. And then the system will enter to BIOS setup directly at next boot.

The manual helps alot with it comes to these kind of things ;)

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

I just found out it could possibly because i have MSI "fast boot"

gonna try and disable that

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Yup I just found out that info as well. Right in the manual:

IF Fast Boot mode is enable you have to click the "GO2BIOS" tab on the MSI Fast Boot utility screen or press the "GO2BIOS" Button on the motherboard. And then the system will enter to BIOS setup directly at next boot.

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

dude i checked my manual, i inserted my drivers and utilities but nowhere do i find those tabs, there is a utilities tab but its for installing utilities and on my options from clicking advanced, i dont see a uefi option like in the videos

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

YES I have that battery, i was able to access the bios before installing windows 8, now I cant, how do I disable fast boot? ive tried accessing the drivers and utilities tab but there is not option for bios

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

quit being a douche, i did read the manual, sorry im new to this so its kind of confusing, i read the damn manual and its not helping, Ive looke 3 times for the physical go2bios button but its not there, ive tried checking my drivers and utilities disc but there is no options like the video. gtfo if youre gonna be a tool

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Page 3-15 (Go2BIOS)

The system boots straight to the BIOS setup by long pressing the power button about 2-4 seconds when the system is off.

Also Page 3-2 it does say:

Please be sure to install the "MSI fast Boot" utitlity before using it to enter the BIOS setup."

So check and double check your disks that came with the motherboard to install this utility.

Good luck sir :)

Solution

Rooks_

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

figured it out, thanks!

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

that sounds awesome. At the end of the day what did you do to get into the BIOS?

Call me curious george :)