[SOLVED] No USB ports are working,

ferminjdiaz29

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
I'm really not sure what the issue is with my PC. I know that I put in all the parts and cables carefully based on their individual manuals.

WHAT'S GOING ON::
The CPU fan w/LEDs turns on. The rear case Fan turns on. The fan that was pre-installed inside the top of the case (I moved this fan to the front of the case), that one turns on.
None of the USB ports work on the front panel or the rear I/O. There is an orange light on the M.2 that turns on when I power on the PC.
There is no display, from either the GPU (HDMI port) or the motherboard (VGA port). I checked the VGA port from an older computer so the monitor is good.

There is a USB 3.1 (GEN 2) cable that comes from the front panel of the case, that I don't seem to have a port for on the motherboard, so that is not connected.
The SATA connectors from the PSU are not connected to anything because I don't have any HDD (or anything to connect them to) at the moment. The Peripheral & Floppy connectors from the PSU are also not connected either because I could not find where they get connected to.

THE PC IN QUESTION::
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz
  • Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 AM4
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
  • Video Card: Asrock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 56 DirectX 12 RX Vega 56 8GB
  • Case: NZXT H510 (not H510i)
  • Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 500W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 80 Plus Certified (Non Modular)
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Not sure where I went wrong, or what i'm missing and possibly need to get, any help would be greatly appreciated.
It should also be noted that I only connected the cables for what I received. I did not order any extra cables so if i'm missing a cable, adapter, or something, please let me know.
I'm still relatively new to this as this is only my 2nd PC build.

I'm really not sure what the issue is with my PC. I know that I put in all the parts and cables carefully based on their individual manuals.

The CPU fan w/LEDs turns on. The rear case Fan turns on. The fan that was pre-installed inside the top of the case (I moved this fan to the front of the case), that one turns on.
None of the USB ports work on the front panel or the rear I/O. There is an orange light on the M.2 that turns on when I power on the PC.
There is no display, from either the GPU (HDMI port) or the motherboard (VGA port). I checked the VGA port from an older computer so the monitor is good.

There is a USB 3.1 (GEN 2) cable that comes from the front panel of the case, that I don't seem to have a port for on the motherboard, so that is not connected.
The SATA connectors from the PSU are not connected to anything because I don't have any HDD (or anything to connect them to) at the moment. The Peripheral & Floppy connectors from the PSU are also not connected either because I could not find where they get connected to.

• Video Card: Asrock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 56 DirectX 12 RX Vega 56 8GB
  • Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 500W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 80 Plus Certified (Non Modular)
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Not sure where I went wrong, or what i'm missing and possibly need to get, any help would be greatly appreciated.
It should also be noted that I only connected the cables for what I received. I did not order any extra cables so if i'm missing a cable, adapter, or something, please let me know.

Is BIOS up to date and compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen ?
Plugging monitor into MB you can forget about, that processor doesn't have an IGPU.

Reactions: mctrader07

ferminjdiaz29

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
Is BIOS up to date and compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen ?
Plugging monitor into MB you can forget about, that processor doesn't have an IGPU.
I'm guessing that it's not. So what would be my options for to resolve this?

Update:
I was searching around and realized that the BIOS might not be up to date.
Two options that i found are;
1. get an older gen CPU and update the BIOS to the Ryzen 3700x. (cheaper option)
or
2. get an actual motherboard that supports Ryzen 3700x out of the box. (future proofing)

Before i make any decision, I'd like to know peoples recommendations on this.
Option 1 seems to depend on the shipping, which seems to be the quicker option because of it's availability.
Option 2 has most motherboards currently out of stock at the moment, until about June or July.

Last edited:
Here you can find a list of compatible processors https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#CPU

Safest bet are ones where BIOS version is "All"
R3 1200 or Athlon 200g should be cheapest ones,
As for MB, right now MSI b450 max is safest bet to work at once or if you can wait for a bit, b550 MBs should be out for sale very soon, that would give you an option to upgrade to 4000 series Ryzen at later date.

Solution

ferminjdiaz29

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
Here you can find a list of compatible processors https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#CPU

Safest bet are ones where BIOS version is "All"
R3 1200 or Athlon 200g should be cheapest ones,
As for MB, right now MSI b450 max is safest bet to work at once or if you can wait for a bit, b550 MBs should be out for sale very soon, that would give you an option to upgrade to 4000 series Ryzen at later date.

I'm just gonna update the BIOS, and wait on the B550 MBs.
I've never updated a BIOS before, any tips on how to update it?
or Where I can get some informative "how to's"?

Edit: I'm going with the Ryzen 3 1200 to update the BIOS.

ferminjdiaz29

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
For BIOS update just follow instructions in MB manual, best to do it straight from BIOS itself.

I ordered the Ryzen 3 1200
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741DN383/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to do the BIOS update.
However, i'm still not getting any display.

I swapped the CPU from the Ryzen 7 (3700x) to the Ryzen 3 (1200) and everything turns on.
The lights on the keyboard & mouse are lighting up, and all the USB ports are usable and seem to be working, but still no display.
I checked the wires so see if that's the issue, both the VGA & HDMI, by using another PC I have. So i know the cables aren't the problem.
I even swapped the display output from using the GPU (HDMI) to the MB (HDMI & VGA) to the monitor's inputs (HDMI & VGA).
I'm still not getting a display.

Am I missing something?

Update:
After taking out and placing the components back in. I used the Ryzen 3 1200.
I was able to actually get a post and get into the BIOS.
After updating the BIOS and resetting the defaults (like the manual said), I rebooted the system and got a post with no issue.
Went into the BIOS to verify the update, it was good.
However, once I swapped out the CPU back to the Ryzen 7 3700x, the PC wouldn't give a post or any sort of display.
Everything turned on and lighted up but still no post, could it be that the CPU is bad?

Last edited: