[SOLVED] No vcore option in bios for cpu

Jul 6, 2020
Hi i'm overclocking my Pentium e6500 but i have stability problem and i don't have option to increase vcore voltage only options i have are:VTT_CPU over voltage,1.8v over voltage, mch chipset voltage and ich chipset voltage so what should i increase in order to get stable oc and could i get some more options by flashing bios? my specs are: 4gb ddr2 1067mhz, Intel Pentium e6500 2.93ghz, asus gtx 570.

Solution
... Intel generally has overclocking locked, only allowing it on Z-series motherboards, Z299, Z390, Z490 ...
We strongly recommend that you take a minute to look at the specs before offering advice. Respectfully, if you don't know where to find factual information, then please do not post incorrect or misleading information.

The Pentium E6500 (2MB Cache) is a variant of the E7500 (3MB Cache), which are both related to the E8400 (6MB Cache). All are Core 2 Duo 45 nanometer 65 Watt TDP processors. Aside from differences in Cache and FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency, these processors are essentially identical. These Core 2 erra processors predate Core i 1st generation processors, as well as...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
It's 10 years old and a Pentium at that, a budget CPU. Time to let that old dog die.
Intel generally has overclocking locked, only allowing it on Z-series motherboards, Z299, Z390, Z490.

Even if you could OC, the difference probably wouldn't even be noticable.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... Intel generally has overclocking locked, only allowing it on Z-series motherboards, Z299, Z390, Z490 ...
We strongly recommend that you take a minute to look at the specs before offering advice. Respectfully, if you don't know where to find factual information, then please do not post incorrect or misleading information.

The Pentium E6500 (2MB Cache) is a variant of the E7500 (3MB Cache), which are both related to the E8400 (6MB Cache). All are Core 2 Duo 45 nanometer 65 Watt TDP processors. Aside from differences in Cache and FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency, these processors are essentially identical. These Core 2 erra processors predate Core i 1st generation processors, as well as "Z" series motherboards that support Core i 2nd generation and later processors.

Alex3200,

If you're comfortable with the flash procedure, then go ahead and flash your BIOS. The latest version is 0702. Overclocking on the Asus P5KPL-AM-SE motherboard is done by increasing FSB frequency, but your overclock settings are quite limited on the G31 chipset. Increasing VTT_CPU Over Voltage should stabilize your overclock. Here's some links and YouTube videos.

Your motherboard supports up to Core 2 Quad Qx9xxx CPUs, and its G31 chipset supports 800, 1066, 1333 and 1600MHz memory. Since your E6500 defaults to 266MHz FSB with an 11 multiplier, 266MHZ x 11 = 2.93GHz. By increasing the FSB to 291MHz, the 11 multiplier gives you 3.2GHz. Here's a link to the Manual.

Keep in mind that as you increase FSB frequency to overclock the CPU, it also overclocks your memory, so watch the memory frequency. Memory runs at FSB x 4, so 266 x 4 = 1066. At 291 FSB x 4 the memory is overclocked to 1164MHz, which might be too fast for stability. Increasing Memory Over Voltage and NB Over Voltage may stabilize your overclock.

3.2GHz is a 9% increase, but if BIOS allows 333MHz on the FSB, that's 3.66GHz which is a 25% overclock and increase in CPU performance. There are overclocking guides still available for 45 nanometer Core 2 processors, so Google around for them. 45 nanometer Core 2 processors can overclock beyond 4.0GHz, but Core temperatures should be kept under 80°C.

CT :sol:

Solution
I still would not recommend overclocking this unless it is a spare system or similar.

If this is your main system, I would upgrade it rather than overclock. If you cannot afford to upgrade it, then consider this: Overclocking your CPU will stress the already aging PSU, mobo vrm, and more. This could cause damage which to repair would cost more than a CPU upgrade.

Overclocking will not provide enough performance to matter, as the CPU still isn't going to be a great performer in 2020.

Better option:
A Core 2 Quad would be a very good upgrade for sub $10 in some cases.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

The Pentium E6500 (2MB Cache) is a variant of the E7500 (3MB Cache), which are both related to the E8400 (6MB Cache). All are Core 2 Duo 45 nanometer 65 Watt TDP processors. Aside from differences in Cache and FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency, these processors are essentially identical. These Core 2 erra processors predate Core i 1st generation processors, as well as "Z" series motherboards that support Core i 2nd generation and later processors.

Alex3200,

If there's a later version of BIOS available, and you're comfortable with the flash procedure, then go ahead and flash your BIOS. As you might already know, overclocking on the Asus P5KPL-AM-SE motherboard is done by increasing FSB frequency on the G31 Northbridge chipset, if BIOS allows.

Your motherboard supports up to Core 2 Quad Q9xxx CPUs, and its G31 chipset supports 800, 1066, 1333 and 1600MHz memory. Since your E6500 defaults to 266MHz FSB with an 11 multiplier, 266MHZ x 11 = 2.93GHz. By increasing the FSB to 333MHz, the 11 multiplier gives you 3.66GHz, which typically should not need an increase in Vcore.

However, if you already have instabilities, then overclocking will make the problem more severe. Keep in mind that as you increase FSB frequency to overclock the CPU, this also overclocks the memory which can cause instabilities. This may require you to choose a different "strap" to decrease the FSB / memory ratio, which in turn decreases memory frequency, thereby restoring memory stability.

If your rig is table at stock, then your memory is also at stock, which always runs at FSB x 4. So 266 x 4 = 1066. If the FSB is increased to 333, then the CPU is at x 11 which is 3.66GHz, but 333 FSB x 4 overclocks the memory to 1333, which is typically too fast for 1066 memory to remain stable. If you keep the memory strap at 266, then the memory will run at 1066MHz. Increasing memory voltage and / or relaxing timings may stabilize higher frequencies, just as tightening timings will improve latency at lower frequencies.

Here's some examples that compare stock settings to different CPU / memory clock combinations:

CPU 11 x 266 = 2.93, RAM 4 x 266 = 1066 (CPU & RAM stock- FSB 266, strap 266)
CPU 11 x 291 = 3.20, RAM 4 x 291 = 1164 (RAM marginal - FSB 291, strap 266)
CPU 11 x 309 = 3.40 , RAM 4 x 232 = 928 (RAM underclock - FSB 309, strap 200)
CPU 11 x 318 = 3.50 , RAM 4 x 239 = 956 (RAM underclock - FSB 318, strap 200)
CPU 11 x 333 = 3.66, RAM 4 x 333 = 1333 (RAM unstable - FSB 333, strap 333)
CPU 11 x 333 = 3.66, RAM 4 x 266 = 1066 (RAM stock - FSB 333, strap 266)
CPU 11 x 346 = 3.80, RAM 4 x 276 = 1105 (CPU & RAM marginal - FSB 346, strap 266)

3.66GHz option underlined above is a 25% overclock with a corresponding increase in CPU performance, which is certainly enough to notice. The 3.66GHz overclock is the easiest option because it avoids having to tweak memory timings and / or voltage. It should not require any increases in Vcore, and does not compromise stock memory stability or performance. Whatever options you can tweak after flashing BIOS, do not exceed 80°C or 1.375 Vcore.

There are overclocking guides still available for 45 nanometer Core 2 processors, so Google around the web. You might even find one that covers similar motherboard / CPU combinations. If done correctly, you should be able to achieve an overclock of at least 3.66GHz. 45 nanometer Core 2 processors are capable of reaching 4.0GHz and more. A 40% overclock is not uncommon.

I have never owned an Intel and Pentiums haven't been interesting since Pentium 4-days. I can't remember what hardware was around 10 years ago which is why I mentioned Z-motherboards. It would be like looking up what calculators were around 20 years ago.

25% better compared to itself. But software has moved on, requiring more resources and newer hardware is cheap and more powerful.

4 gigs of RAM when Win10 eats 2.5 gigs of it. Doesn't leave much for anything else. Maybe couple browsertabs.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-E6500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X/m720vs4076

41% in gaming, if UserBench is to be believed. Add 25% and it amounts to 51%. So effectively 10% increase. It's still going to be bad.

For maybe 300 dollars you could have Ryzen 3300X, 16 gigs of RAM and a cheap motherboard.
Plus, it overclocks too.

Jul 6, 2020
THAN

Alex3200,

If you're comfortable with the flash procedure, then go ahead and flash your BIOS. The latest version is 0702. Overclocking on the Asus P5KPL-AM-SE motherboard is done by increasing FSB frequency, but your overclock settings are quite limited on the G31 chipset. Increasing VTT_CPU Over Voltage should stabilize your overclock. Here's some links and YouTube videos.

Your motherboard supports up to Core 2 Quad Qx9xxx CPUs, and its G31 chipset supports 800, 1066, 1333 and 1600MHz memory. Since your E6500 defaults to 266MHz FSB with an 11 multiplier, 266MHZ x 11 = 2.93GHz. By increasing the FSB to 291MHz, the 11 multiplier gives you 3.2GHz. Here's a link to the Manual.

Keep in mind that as you increase FSB frequency to overclock the CPU, it also overclocks your memory, so watch the memory frequency. Memory runs at FSB x 4, so 266 x 4 = 1066. At 291 FSB x 4 the memory is overclocked to 1164MHz, which might be too fast for stability. Increasing Memory Over Voltage and NB Over Voltage may stabilize your overclock.

3.2GHz is a 9% increase, but if BIOS allows 333MHz on the FSB, that's 3.66GHz which is a 25% overclock and increase in CPU performance. There are overclocking guides still available for 45 nanometer Core 2 processors, so Google around for them. 45 nanometer Core 2 processors can overclock beyond 4.0GHz, but Core temperatures should be kept under 80°C.

Thanks a lot for explanation

Jul 6, 2020
I have never owned an Intel and Pentiums haven't been interesting since Pentium 4-days. I can't remember what hardware was around 10 years ago which is why I mentioned Z-motherboards. It would be like looking up what calculators were around 20 years ago.

25% better compared to itself. But software has moved on, requiring more resources and newer hardware is cheap and more powerful.

4 gigs of RAM when Win10 eats 2.5 gigs of it. Doesn't leave much for anything else. Maybe couple browsertabs.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-E6500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X/m720vs4076

41% in gaming, if UserBench is to be believed. Add 25% and it amounts to 51%. So effectively 10% increase. It's still going to be bad.

For maybe 300 dollars you could have Ryzen 3300X, 16 gigs of RAM and a cheap motherboard.
Plus, it overclocks too.
Yeah i'll probably get new pc in future but till then im stuck with what i have

Jul 6, 2020
I still would not recommend overclocking this unless it is a spare system or similar.

If this is your main system, I would upgrade it rather than overclock. If you cannot afford to upgrade it, then consider this: Overclocking your CPU will stress the already aging PSU, mobo vrm, and more. This could cause damage which to repair would cost more than a CPU upgrade.

Overclocking will not provide enough performance to matter, as the CPU still isn't going to be a great performer in 2020.

Better option:
A Core 2 Quad would be a very good upgrade for sub $10 in some cases.
I was thinking of buying that cpu but i'm not sure if my psu Will handle it cuz i think it's 95watts and my gpu is asus gtx 570 and it draws lot of power my psu is lc power 600w v2.31

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I was thinking of buying that cpu but i'm not sure if my psu Will handle it cuz i think it's 95watts and my gpu is asus gtx 570 and it draws lot of power my psu is lc power 600w v2.31

If it actually outputs 600 watts, it wont be no problems. But I've never heard of LC Power whatever.

CPU = 100-150 W, GPU less than 200 W so a 400W should be close to enough. Always have margins though. But that said, you might want to get a better GPU too in the near future, most likely drawing more power. 600 W power supply from someone trusted like Seasonic etc could be in order. PSUs generally last 10 years or more so it's a long-term buy.

I got a Bitfenix Whisper 750W I think. Wasn't cheap but it wasn't expensive either.