Question No video... but only in Win 11! Any ideas?

araujo.tiago

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
Hello guys.

This forum is amazing. I keep reading it to maintain myself up to date. But this time, unfortunately, I need some help/advice because I was unable to find something similar here...

My computer was fine for at least one year. But, last week, I experienced a black screen after the win11 load screen. I have the video output during the POST screen, in BIOS, during the loading screen, and when in safe mode. But when the Win11 log-on screen in normal mode should be showing, I got a message from the monitor "No Signal Detected on DP. Power saving mode" and a black screen. The Caps Lock/Num Lock keys are responsive during the black screen (the lights turn on and off) suggesting that the system is running but the video is off.

Workarounds that I have tried without success:
- Win+Ctrl+Shift+B;
- Win+P;
- Uninstalling GPU drivers in safe mode (1080p resolution is fine here);
- Checking "eventvwr" in safe mode to see if there were any errors reported. No errors were reported either in the system or software tabs;
- Uninstalling antivirus;
- Uninstalling cosmetic apps (I had a translucent tab theme installed from 3rd party);
- Rebooting into normal mode with low-resolution mode;
- Using HDMI instead of Display Port;
- Updating the BIOS of the MoBo;
- Installing a fresh clean Windows 11 (yes! Even after a new and clean installation of win11, the problem persists!);
- Memory Sticks in different slots, separated and together;
- Changing the PCIe auxiliary power supply wire.
- Cleaning the GPU and PCIe slot with contact cleaner and isopropyl alcohol.

Workarounds I am yet considering:
- Updating the GPU's firmware;
- Boot using a Linux bootable pen drive and install the nVidia drivers;
-- In this case: If I get no video, then the problem will likely be the GPU. But if I get a video output? Where will be the problem? With Windows 11?
- Borrowing a monitor from a friend;

My hardware is the following:
- Aorus B550M gaming;
- 2 x 16 GB @ 3000MHz XPG RAM Sticks;
- 1x SSD nVME Adata 512GB;
- 1x nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 6GB;
- Ryzen 5 3500X;
- PSU XFX 650W TS 80+ Gold;

So, have you guys any ideas or suggestions? Have you ever seen a similar situation?

Also, as I had no idea where the problem is (is it GPU? MoBo? Monitor? PSU? Win11?), I posted it here, in the System sub-forum. I hope this won't be a problem.

Thank you for your kindness in advance.
I'll keep in touch.

araujo.tiago

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
Updates
Today I managed to use the computer in normal mode after performing 3 actions at the same time:

1. Using a new HDMI cable.
2. Brought the computer to a "dry air" environment (my apartment is naturally well ventilated, and the wind here is very humid);
3. Enabled the option "Power Loading" (as far as I could notice, this avoid the psu to fail in case of low load connected):

I am not sure which option was responsible for solving the problem (I am not even sure if the problem is definitely solved!).

Anyway, I'll keep monitoring it.

Thank you for your attention.

araujo.tiago

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
Update 2

It seems that the problem is with my monitor!
I brought the computer to my work, and it worked fine even without the "Power Loading" option. It worked with HDMI and D-Port.

But, at home, the DP cable did not work, and using the HDMI resulted in a message of "unsupported rate. Please configure your video adapter to 60Hz" plus intermittency in the video. I believe that it might be something with the monitor's connectors.

As soon as I close the diagnostic, I'll post it here.

araujo.tiago

Reputable
Sep 25, 2018
Hey guys.
Last word on that: The problem is with the Display-Port output connector of my GPU.

My monitor is working fine with all inputs (the unsupported rate message that I saw before was due to a loose connection), and my GPU is working fine using the HDMI.

Although I have found where the problem is, I still cannot explain why I am able to see only low-resolution video on Display Port. My guess is that there is a damaged electronics closely related to this specific port, like an oscillator (e.g. which when in the high-res video cannot provide the correct reference signal).

So I hope that someone in the future with a similar problem might consider this as an option.

TRENDING THREADS