No video display after multiple Blue Screen of Death - issue with motherboard?

AshKetchup

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hey all. I’d really appreciate any help I can get here.

I have a PC I built back in December and I have Windows 10 on it. I usually have it running through the night to play white noise and help me sleep. About a month ago I started getting those BSOD with the frowny faces, and my PC would reboot. The stop codes were usually “memory management” or “page fault in nonpaged area”. I didn’t do anything about it at the time, stupid me.

They started getting more frequent, and the BSOD wouldn’t force a reboot anymore so I’d have to power off manually. I even started having trouble getting things like the monitor display and keyboard to work. That was troubling. I looked into how to fix the “page fault” error and ran some scans in the command prompt. I wasn’t able to complete them before getting another BSOD with the “memory management” stop code. Again, I had to manually reboot. I discovered the display wouldn’t come on unless I used my graphics card’s HDMI or DVI ports. I tried booting in Safe Mode and it still gave the error after a while.

Now I’m unable to consistently get any display. Tried DVI and VGA, didn’t work. Tried DVI port from the GPU, only worked sometimes. Tried my TV with HDMI, only worked sometimes. The PC does power on though, just no display. I dunno if it’s coincidentally a cable issue or maybe the ports on my motherboard fried or the IO shield has an issue or what. I opened the case up and reseated the RAM and GPU. It’s dusty inside with some feathers from my parakeet. Should I clean with a compressed air can? I even took it to Geek Squad and they were able to have it run through a diagnostic test, but the BSOD persisted.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. If I’m eventually able to get a display working again, please let me know if there’s anything specific in the BIOS I should look at. Some other bits of advice I’ve heard are to reinstall Windows on it and reseat the CPU, but I’m a novice with computers and taking out the CPU seems daunting.

“memory management” or “page fault in non-paged area” sounds like you are running out of free storage space on your computer.
1. How much memory do you have in your computer?
2. How much hard drive space do you have in your computer?
3. Is your Windows partition running out of free space?
4. Do you have Windows set to manage the page file automatically?

AshKetchup

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Unfortunately I’m not even able to get the PC to stay on anymore. It powers on and gives no display, then it shuts down (power light goes off and fans stop spinning). So I can't get to BIOS. It boots up on its own but just keeps rebooting.

I can't imagine the memory and storage being an issue. I have a 1TB HDD and 8GB DDR4 RAM. There's a link below to my parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLRTXH

As Calvin7 said, it would help us if you could list all the parts in your system.

AshKetchup

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Does the PCpartpicker link not give enough info? It's got my parts listed in there

If you look at your partitions in My Computer, are you running out of free disk space? Do you clean out your Recycle Bin regularly?

mycomputer-520x360.png

AshKetchup

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

I can't say with certainty. I didn't have anything close to that amount saved on my 1TB hard drive. The things I did like online browsing and gaming never went above 75% usage of my 8GB RAM whenever I checked. As far as my Recycle Bin, I know I never emptied it. I hope that helps answer your question, but I'm not able to check since I can't even get to a display or BIOS right now.

Try another power supply. Those Corsair ones have been known to fail at times.
Limited Warranty period (parts): 5 years
Limited Warranty period (labor): 5 years

Your memory management errors could have also been caused by a failing power supply. I would still run MemTest86 if the PC boots up.

AshKetchup

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions folks! Turns out I was dumb and didn't make sure the RAM was in ALL the way when I reseated it. Now it will POST and I can get into BIOS and all that good stuff. I still only get a display using graphics card's DVI and HDMI ports, but not 100% of the time. My PC also seems to take a good minute or two to give a display and load Windows after I power on. My Recycle Bin is empty, and disk space is fine. And of course, still getting BSODs with "page fault in nonpaged area" and "memory management". I was able to get Windows updates and update my BIOS to the latest version. I did the trick with holding down reset for 30 seconds with system unplugged. Still no luck. I'll keep running more diagnostics like memtest. Would you suggest I back up my files and do a fresh install of Windows?