Question No video display with RX580 but GT640 works fine ?

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
Using a hdmi cable my pc will pass through all the ez debug stages, posting as far as I can tell, just fine but will not output any video to my monitor. On removing the GPU (powercolor RX580 8gb) and putting the hdmi in the motherboard slot, it posts and the boot screen displays. On plugging in a different graphics card into the slot (gt640), it also posts and goes to the boot screen just fine. Any suggestions on what to much appreciated. Hopefully the GPU isn't bust
Specs:

MSI B450 Tomohawk max
Athlon 200ge
2x 4gb 2400 MHZ ram Corsair
Tx550M Corsair 550w

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
RX 580 needs additional power direct from PSU whereas GT 640 doesn't. Which begs the question have you connected 8-pin and/or 6-pin PCIe power cable to the RX 580 ?
The PSU has two 6+2 pcie connectors, both were plugged in to the GPU (14 slots overall) and the GPU turned on, with the fans spinning and LEDs on and whatnot

edit: spelling errors

Aug 9, 2021
Dont need another PC for that, not saying thats the issue. But if you try to load the old display/GPU drivers with the new card likely it might not work very well, if windows does not auto detect and update it. And that doesnt always happen with different manufacturer GPUs

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
errr is it the GPU driver causing this? Correct me if im wrong but try uninstalling the old display drivers in safemode before inserting the new GPU
The GPU and ram is second hand, but the rest of the components are all new. Not to mention I've yet to install windows on it yet (I could but I'm waiting until I can get the GPU to output video) would there even be drivers downloaded?

The GPU and ram is second hand, but the rest of the components are all new. Not to mention I've yet to install windows on it yet (I could but I'm waiting until I can get the GPU to output video) would there even be drivers downloaded?

Did you see this video card working before you bought it? System works with another card, power supply is good enough to power the card, but it's used. First guess, the card you bought it bad.

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
Did you see this video card working before you bought it? System works with another card, power supply is good enough to power the card, but it's used. First guess, the card you bought it bad.
Bought it from cex, I don't know their reputation but it says on their website they test all their hardware to make sure it works

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
Dont need another PC for that, not saying thats the issue. But if you try to load the old display/GPU drivers with the new card likely it might not work very well, if windows does not auto detect and update it. And that doesnt always happen with different manufacturer GPUs
Sorry about I responded to the wrong post

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
Gonna try loading without the GPU and clearing the graphics drivers, and will try with a display port cable. If neither with I'll refund/trade it back to cex

massgdaboss

Reputable
Apr 10, 2018
update. Installed windows onto pc and now when I try to turn computer on with the graphics card installed it will turn on for a few seconds, shut down then restart again, all without outputting any video. When i turned on the computer after with (using igpu and with dgpu uninstalled) a windows repair thing started. It wasn't serious at all and I just had to restart the computer. Anyone have any idea whats going on? I'm inclined to believe the gpu is in in need of repair/busted

Last edited: