no video displaying, but power come on with audio working

nicjac45

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Our PS3 is approx 2 years old and the video is no longer displaying, but the system is coming on and I can hear the disc spinning. I have replaced the HDMI cable but that has not restored the video from being visible. Are there any recommendations on how to fix the video? Thank you!

Solution
Are you using an HDMI splitter? It happens a lot to me too, and it's usually due to that not making complete contact. If that's the case, simply switching the input a couple times usually works for me.

Have you tried using another HDMI display or the analog cable? For the latter, there are a couple videos around the web on how to switch it from HDMI to analog, as it seems that, once you go HDMI, it'll go blackscreen if you switch back to analog. It might be just the HDMI port that burned out.

Vynavill

Honorable
Are you using an HDMI splitter? It happens a lot to me too, and it's usually due to that not making complete contact. If that's the case, simply switching the input a couple times usually works for me.

Have you tried using another HDMI display or the analog cable? For the latter, there are a couple videos around the web on how to switch it from HDMI to analog, as it seems that, once you go HDMI, it'll go blackscreen if you switch back to analog. It might be just the HDMI port that burned out.

Solution

nicjac45

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Thank you Night Owl. Yes, I am using an HDMI 4 channel switch (Rockfish...from Best Buy) , but I was told this is not considered a splitter. This hdmi switch allows up to watch the cable and then go to the blue ray or ps 3 game console. I have tried using different hdmi channels without any success. If the HDMI port is burned out, is this something that is easy to self repair or is it recommended to take it to a repair shop? Thank you again!

Vynavill

Honorable
Self-repairing, if the HDMI port is burned out, would imply disassembling the PS3 and actually checking where the issue is; This will VOID the warranty, if there's still one. Mainly, it will mean a minimum amount of soldering will be needed, but if it's just part of the embedded circuit, a wired bypass should be more than enough, and an easy task with a steady hand; if it's the port itself, however, you need to de-solder the port first, and then change it with a new one, and that could be slightly more complicate.

If you're not that handy with DIY electronics or if the warranty is still valid, I would take it to a repair shop that specializes in electronics, such as PCs, or send it back to Sony's technical support; possibly look for privates tho, as big chains will likely refuse you unless you have a valid warranty, and if you're out of warranty Sony will likely make you pay almost as much as a new console...

I say try with the analog cable first and see how it goes. Most games from the PS3 run at 720p anyway, so it's not like you're losing much without HDMI, besides upscaled graphics which rarely look good ;)
If you're fine with how analog looks, keep running on it; if you don't, repair it.