No video even with new video card

mcm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hello: I have a A8N-SLI motherboard and an Athlon 64x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU. I have 2 GB of ram.

Yesterday when I booted up, I had no video. During boot up, I heard one long beep and three short beeps, which I believe means no video card.

I tested the monitor on another PC and it worked.

So, today I replaced the old video card

-- an EVGA GeForce 7900 GT 256 MB GDDR3 PCIe

with a new card

-- an MSI GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR-3 PCIe 2.0.

I still hear the four beeps on boot up and have no video. I know that the PC is booting up, i.e. I hear the Windows music and even, the first time, a pop probably meaning it found the new card.

I'm stumped. What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for any advice

mcm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
On the advice of a teenaged clerk at Micro Center, who refunded me for my replacement video card and seemed much smarter than I am, I swapped out the RAM from the motherboard. That didn't work either.

mcm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I have two theories now 1) something is fatally wrong with the motherboard or the components thereon and I will never have video again with it or 2) the PCIe slot is broken.

If the second theory is correct and I put a PCI video card in one of the open PCI slots, should it work?

Anybody?

Thanks.

mcm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks. The motherboard has only one PCIE slot that can be used if you're using a single video card. If the PCIE slot is the problem and I use a PCI video card in a PCI slot instead, should that work, i.e. if you have a PCIE slot, does a motherboard require that you use only that slot for video?