[SOLVED] "No video input" after upgrading graphics card

Crumbs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Hello all,

So I bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 to replace my old GTX card. Then I noticed there were two "cable problems": my PSU had 2 6-pin connectors and the new card needed one 8-pin connector, and also, my monitor had only a VGA cable, while the input to the new card was either HDMI or DisplayPort. I solved these two problems by buying a adapter from 2 6-pins to 1 8-pin, and another adapter from VGA to HDMI,
This was all just background that may not be relevant, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

So I shut down the computer, unplugged it, removed the old card and connected the new one. Reboot - "No video input".
After some searching I understood that I must first install the Nvidia driver. So I connected the old card back, uninstalled all old Nvidia drivers, and tried installing the new ones.
Problem - Nvidia driver wouldn't install because I didn't have compatible hardware (the new card wasn't connected). After a lot of searching, I finally changed the priority in the BIOS to "Onboard" instead of "PCI-E", and in this way I could both connect the new card and see what is happening by connecting the monitor directly to the motherboard. I managed this way to install the new drivers.

Here I thought I was done - the drivers are installed, and the card is connected. So I switched back the priority to "PCI-E" - again, "No video input".
In my Device Manager there are now two Display Adapters (Intel Graphics, and Nvidia GTX 1660). There are also several yellow questions marks with "PCI controller" and "Video VGA Controller" or something like that (even after installing all drivers).

So in short: the new graphics card is connected, the drivers are installed, but when I move back the BIOS priority to "PCI-E" instead of "Onboard" - No video input.
PLEASE help. Thanks!

Not too sure about the PCIe power connector adapter; perhaps someone else could comment on that.

I think alexoiu is alluding to the wrong sort of adapter for the graphics card. You need an active adapter as the modern graphics cards rarely have ports which carry an analogue signal.

Crumbs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Just finished upgrading. Unfortunately, still if the priority is on "PCI-E" it won't show anything when the card is connected... this is really frustrating. Any other idea maybe?

Crumbs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks so much for that suggestion. I connected it to my TV (regular HDMI) and it worked! So if the problem is in the adapter does that mean I should simply try replacing it with another one? It's simply bad luck with a faulty one, or do I need to buy some other type of adapter altogether?

Crumbs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
Final update: I went to the store, and they checked the adapter, which worked with their PC. So I decided on a whim to buy the same type of adapter but for DisplayPort to VGA (same company, same price). I was sure it wouldn't work either, but I wished for some good luck. Anyway - it works with the new adapter perfectly. I don't know if it's an issue with the HDMI input in the card... but I'm happy to leave things as is.
Thanks so much for your support, which helped me get to the solution.