No video on build PC, Ram shorted out the PSU?

aerfangel

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
I just finished building (with an anti-static wristband) a new PC using the parts recommended by Logical Increments. When I turned on the PC every fan worked (the ones in the case, the PSU, the graphics card and the CPU cooler) and everything appeared to be fine... but no signal on the monitor. Tried to change the HDMI cable from the graphics card directly to the mobo but again, no video, even with a VGA cable (to the mobo).

I followed the no boot checklist and checked all the numbers in order. Then, I got to the step number 23 (disconnect everything but the CPU and HSF). which it says

"If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. ... Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). "

Which is exactly my case now. I tried many other options of other guides but none of them worked.

Can you please assist me? Here are the parts:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 256bit
i5-7600K
NH-U14S
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
2 x 8GB
WD 1TB Hard Drive Caviar Blue
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD
XFX XTR 750W
CM Cosmos SE

Thanks!

aerfangel

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

Thank you for the fast answer. So, if I update the bios everything will work? Will try. Apart from the bios, is there another reason to change the z170? Im curious.

aerfangel

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

Ok, so I followed the gigabyte instructions and downloaded the BIOS file in a USB and pressed <End> a couple times when starting, but not even this q-flash utility appears on screen. Tried it with and without the graphics card, with the HDMI and VGA cable and nothing.

Is it a defective motherboard?

Thanks.

Edit: Something to note is that the PC doesn't turn off with one press of the power button and waiting, I have to leave it pressed to turn it off.

aerfangel

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017

So I ordered the new Z270 motherboard, and everything is working now! Thank you very much for your help! :)