No video on Dell M6500

Slingshot488

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
So, this thing has been randomly blacking out the screen for whatever reason. There's no heads-up about when it happens, it just happens.

When it hits this state, the macro keys on the touchpad no longer function, and the computer doesn't respond to keyboard shortcuts or mouse movement. However, it is still on. I was on Skype when this happened last, and I remained in the call and could continue to speak to and hear my friends.

In addition to this, the time it takes for my computer to load the login screen on Windows 7 takes anywhere between 1 minute, to just not succeeding in loading it, resulting in me enacting a force-shutdown on it, which I do not like to do.

None of these problems are present in Ubuntu, but I already tried a reinstallation of Windows 7.

I updated the BIOS, the graphics driver, etc., and it still happens. No warranty.

Any ideas?

stians2

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
I have the same problem. Have you found an solution yet? Maybe the graphics card need replacing?

Microblitz

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Have you tried running this machine on battery or in safe mode, only because this problem caused by the power supply NOT the video card.

The power supply "talks" to the motherboard and randomly sends a "Video card overheating" signal. The (cheap) solution to this is to disable the video card overheat and install some other temperature monitoring software .

Do a search for Nvidia Mizer download it. Set to medium power options and disable overheat. Then install something like HWMonitor from cupid.com or PU Temp.

TRENDING THREADS