Question No video or usb output after weird errors

Aug 12, 2019
Built my PC probably twenty days ago now. Today I was just sitting in discord and my computer rebooted to an error screen that had the errors that are “CPU over voltage, cpu fan error, new cpu installed”. After going into the bios my CPU temp read at -1c and the voltage was like 2.4v. After rebooting it now won’t go on to my monitor and I’m scared that my motherboard is fried. BUT when turned on my CPU fan does spin and all my RGB goes on. Any one know anything about this? My keyboard and mouse don’t start either.

Have tried the CMOS switch on my motherboard and nothing changed. Haven’t physically taken the battery out though cuz it sits under my gpu and I’m a little scared to mess with it. Please help this is stressing me out. Is my cpu fried? Everything seems to be getting powered and all the fans spin.

SPECS

Motherboard: Asus b450 prime

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Stock cooler

PSU: 850 Watt Coolermaster (When building this pc the builders found that this was supposed to be top mounted but we had nowhere to put it so it is upside down and still has great airflow and everything)

GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4gb

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well it's a good psu and all of us try to get good psus and usually we do but Coolermaster did not make the Tom's Hardware list but you can get a more nuanced evaluation here cooler master is present at all levels from A+ to "don't buy" so figure out where yours might be....

To me it just sounds like your psu nuked a bunch of stuff. I hope I'm wrong.

Be careful if you try a replacement psu DO NOT use the cables from the out-going psu to plug into the in-coming psu. If your stuff is not fried already it will be if you cross cables.

I don't know about your psu but my seasonic has upside down as "not recommended" in the manual though they say you can do it in some situations. I was quite surprised by this though I have read that some fan bearings work better in one orientation than another. So I went against my usual practice of upside down installation and was left wondering if whether upside down install had led to the decline of my Thermaltake which preceded the Seasonic whose manual we are discussing.

So it is possible that if you have some people building for you and they slap it in upside down that they have done you a big non-favor.

My experience with manuals and psus: The way they are written, "not recommended" means: if you do this you might as well take a sledgehammer and give your whole build a good working over. They never just say that though. They don't want to offend anyone.

To sum up it seems possible that your failed psu fried your cpu. I will commiserate. I hope you find out it is something easy and I am wrong.

Greg N

Aug 12, 2019
Well it's a good psu and all of us try to get good psus and usually we do but Coolermaster did not make the Tom's Hardware list but you can get a more nuanced evaluation here cooler master is present at all levels from A+ to "don't buy" so figure out where yours might be....

Be careful if you try a replacement psu DO NOT use the cables from the out-going psu to plug into the in-coming psu. If your stuff is not fried already it will be if you cross cables.

I don't know about your psu but my seasonic has upside down as "not recommended" in the manual though they say you can do it in some situations. I was quite surprised by this though I have read that some fan bearings work better in one orientation than another. So I went against my usual practice of upside down installation and was left wondering if whether upside down install had led to the decline of my Thermaltake which preceded the Seasonic whose manual we are discussing.

So it is possible that if you have some people building for you and they slap it in upside down that they have done you a big non-favor.

My experience with manuals and psus: The way they are written, "not recommended" means: if you do this you might as well take a sledgehammer and give your whole build a good working over. They never just say that though. They don't want to offend anyone.

To sum up it seems possible that your failed psu fried your cpu. I will commiserate. I hope you find out it is something easy and I am wrong.

Greg N
I took out my cpu and it does not look fried. My friend said if it gets fired you would know do to the burnt look or something like that.

Aug 12, 2019

Greg N
Oh crap I misspoke it’s actually a thermaltake 850watt grand Powe

TRENDING THREADS