no video output after windows update and bios update

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I just performed a windows update which I think had a video card driver update as well as a mobo bios update. After restarting I now have no video output from my hp h8-1010 PC. the video card dvi isn't outputting and I also tried the vga and dvi direct from the mobo and no output there either. Please help me! What can I do?

kalijaga

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

maybe try to enter the BIOS and check the setting for integrated GPU - to enable this, and connect to the VGA/DVI mboard connection. It would be helpful to remove the video card first to isolate only the integrated GPU.

Good luck.

Are you sure the Windows update had a BIOS update? That sounds odd. I could imagine Windows informing you there was a BIOS available, even perhaps downloading it, but I would think you would have to install the new BIOS through a dedicated BIOS flashing program. This is an important question because if the machine failed to POST immediately after a BIOS flash then the chances are your BIOS is now corrupt and you would need a new one, or perhaps if you are lucky the MOBO has a spare BIOS you could activate with a jumper on the board. (unlikely on an HP I think)

If there was no BIOS update then the failure to POST after the windows update is probably a coincidence because Windows only makes changes to the Windows install on the hard drive and the hard drive isn't even being accessed at POST.

You should try following this guide as best as you can, some sections may not apply to your case:http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
No there were 2 separate updates I performed, a Windows 7 update and a motherboard bios update from HP (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5097929#N670).FYI I did try that troubleshooting guide with no success.

My question now is it possible that updating the bios destroyed my motherboard? I didn't know this was possible and I thought a bios update could always be "undone". If my motherboard is in fact ruined can I buy the same motherboard and salvage the PC? I was reading if I were to do this there might be issues with Windows not recognizing the motherboard.

Thanks

OK. Step one is to make SURE you cleared the CMOS. The PC must be unplugged when you take out the battery and to be sure about this leave the battery out for a long time, half hour or so, or you can also leave the battery in, unplug the PC and short the Clear CMOS jumpers. If you are quite sure this was already done and you have checked your power connections carefully then we may need to assume the BIOS update failed. The BIOS is a chip on the motherboard and can sometimes be re-flashed/recovered/replaced, though replacement would likely be impractical. I would contact HP support and tell them you are pretty sure the BIOS update failed and see if they can offer you anything. They may have a simple fix for you.

If they cannot help then you could try to get a new motherboard, or a used one, that is an exact match for the one you have, maybe by buying one on Ebay. If you can find an exact make/model match then your Windows install will boot on it and may not even ask to be re-activated. If it asks to be re-activated you should have no problem doing so since this is a valid repair of the PC.

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for your help notherdude.

I tried removing the CMOS battery for about an hour and also followed instructions on "clearing the CMOS settings" and "clearing the password settings" per HP link http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02831611#N481 with no luck.

Is there nothing else I can do to reset the bios to default? I'm pretty certain the bios chip is soldered to the board and not practical to replace but what about re-flashing/recovering as you suggested? I tried calling HP tech support yesterday but since the PC is out of warranty they wanted $59 for troubleshooting over the phone and then $299 to send it to them for repair if they can't fix over the phone. Since I am about 99% sure they won't be able to help me fix over the phone it's not worth $360 to send to them. I would rather buy a new PC at that point. Honestly I think they should be liable for posting a bios update on their website which has ruined my motherboard but that is another issue!

If I need to replace the motherboard I found one for $69 on ebay which appears to be an exact replacement http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-P7-1050T-P7-1070T-P7-1080T-HPE-H8-1010-HPE-H8-1012C-MOTHERBOARD-USA-/251396095643?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a885ffe9b

I'm just worried that after installing this I will have issues with my Windows 7 installation.

There might be a way to do a recovery flash with a USB stick and a jumper setting and/or key press and I did try to search this for you but the results I got were vague. Maybe somebody else will have more info about this but that may take significant researching and effort. If it was me at this point I would buy the Ebay board. Windows really should start right up because the hardware should be identical or virtually identical. Just be sure to put everything back in exactly the same place, including the SATA HD connections going to the same SATA ports as numbered on the board.

If Windows asks to be re-activated just follow the instructions and it should go through. If you end up talking to someone at MS (they would provide a number to call) simply tell them the truth, this is just a motherboard replacement for the same., exact PC you have the license for.

ps I would exhaust that Tom's checklist for failure to get video first. Many times I have gotten apparently failed boards to come back to life simply by reconnecting everything and re-seating all the components very carefully.

I did notice they specify at the sellers website to get the exact part number, not just the model number of the PC, so it might be a good idea to try to follow their instructions about that, if you end up getting something very close to the original it ought to work I would think.

hastyrichtard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I bought the replacement motherboard. After doing some research I cannot determine the exact part number of the motherboard. The only information HP provides is that it is a Pegatron Carmel motherboard. Have my fingers crossed that it is identical.

In the meantime I will do more research on a recovery flash and going through the Tom's checklist again. I will check back after I have another update. Thanks!

OK, I look forward to hearing how it goes!