[SOLVED] No video output from Core i3 4150 integrated graphics on HDMI/DVI-D

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I have an unusual situation concerning an old Intel Core i3 4150, which I am trying to recover files from after over a year.

Before I switched to my current PC, I was using a discrete graphics card on the 4150 and I think I may have uninstalled the drivers for the onboard graphics, so they no longer work. After I switched to my current PC, I decided to transfer the graphics card from the old PC to the new so I could continue using it, but this now meant there was no driver for any card or onboard graphics on the 4150.

I have just now tried to boot into the 4150 with an HDMI cable with DVI-D adapters and am getting no signal whatsoever, not even from the BIOS boot screen.

Do I have to try again with VGA? Maybe I should've ordered a VGA cable from the beginning.

Solution
I only have the one GPU, and I'm using it on my current PC at the moment.

I could buy a cheap, basic GPU, but if it doesn't fix the problem then I'm out of pocket.

If all you are trying to do is copy the files out from the drive, you don't need the computer working. Use an external USB dock or add it in as a secondary drive in any computer.

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
what the motherboard?

I think it's a Gigabyte H81M - or it is, according to the invoice for the PC. I don't have the motherboard manual any more, because it's 6 years old.

EDIT: More info - Upon booting the PC, there is no SDD activity to indicate Windows loading. I haven't used the SSD for over a year, chances are it's become corrupt. There are no POST beeps of any kind, so the mobo should be working.

Also, I think the specific model of the mobo is GA-H81M-DS2V.

Last edited:

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
UPDATE:

Tried a VGA cable, no luck. Even tried removing the CMOS battery and holding down the power button for a minute to drain the charge, but still no joy.

When I push the power button, the fans power up and then settle down, and the power light is on and every now and then the HDD light blinks, but still no signal on either VGA or DVI-D.

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
If all you are trying to do is copy the files out from the drive, you don't need the computer working. Use an external USB dock or add it in as a secondary drive in any computer.

I could do that. I don't know if it's better to try to save this six-year-old PC that's been in constant use every day for all that time, or to just ditch it and save up for a new model.

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I'm ordering a GT 710 card for the PC, at low cost there's not much risk and it would still be better than the onboard graphics, that's if it works.

EDIT: No point in ordering a graphics card, as the BIOS doesn't load on boot (keyboard not detected), the HDD lights no longer come on, and the mobo just seems totally dead. It IS six years old and has been in constant use.

Last edited:

Latest posts