No video output from GPU or motherboard

Jan 8, 2019
No video output from GPU or motherboard after installing a new rx570 and new case and PSU.

I had a HP pavilion 550 111na (Google it to find exact specs on hp website) and I decided to spend some money to upgrade it to a gaming PC. Move to new case seemed successfull only when I turned it on there was no video output( plugged into GPU) tried turning it off, removing GPU and using motherboard output only to find that didn't work either. Pc boots, fans spin but no video. I've tried everything and in worried sick. Did I somehow damage the motherboard in the move I wonder? Please help me.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04804119

First off, that shipped with a 180W PSU which I'd be very, very surprised if it had an available 6pin PCIe connector, which the RX570 needs (150W TDP).
Given the PSU could barely power *only* the GPU (likely even only theoretically), that's most likely the cause of the problem(s) here.

Given the era of the A10 chip it shipped with (45-65W TDP), the BIOS may not support a modern GPU.

I'd suggest removing the CMOS battery (with power off, wait 10 mins then install) to reset the BIOS and see if that fixes the issue.

As it stands though, that system is not going to be capable of adequately running a 570.

Jan 8, 2019

Jan 8, 2019
As I said I now have a new PSU (600w) and it does have the correct connectors. As for bios it uses UEFI and that's all it needs to be compatible. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with component comparability

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
:lol: sorry, I did not see the mention of a new PSU.

Which PSU do you have, specifically? Unfortunately "600W" means nothing. Plenty junk units claim "600w" and they're only <300W where it actually matters (12V)

As for only needing UEFI, that's just not true. A lot of OEMs use relatively-custom BIOS', and compatibility with newer gen cards (typically 700 series from Nvidia and newer, and RX series cards from AMD) can be problematic.

Not 100% sure whether HP's suffer the same issues.

Did you try clearing the CMOS, like I suggested? If so, do you now have video out from the iGP?

Jan 8, 2019
I had already tried that before you suggested, even left it out for a good thirty mins to make sure but no luck. PSU Is an integrator bronze rated 600w off Amazon. My only remaining hope is that I damaged the motherboard and it will be an easy £30 replacement. Still no output from motherboard and I tried putting card back in still no luck.