Question no video output on vintage system

Aug 17, 2020
i recently got a very old computer from my grandpa to tinker with. it has a socket 754 amd sempron 3400+, 512 mb of ddr memory, and nvidia 6100 graphics which i believe is chipset graphics. i plugged a monitor and peripherals in and right when i plugged in power the case fan and cpu fan spun up which i thought was weird as i didnt press the power button yet but the monitor said no input so i pressed power button but still nothing. i opened it up and did the regular stuff like re-seating memory and stuff but it still did not want to output to the monitor. i tried shorting the front panel power button pins but still nothing. is something dead?

NowJoJo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
Did you try using the onboard graphics / video card if you already tried onboard? Maybe try taking out the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS config?

Aug 17, 2020
i just tried removing cmos battery(and putting it back in) but it still will not output to my monitor. i forgot to mention that right when i plug it in i hear the hard drive doing stuff. i do not have an extra gpu to test it with and i dont believe the cpu has integrated graphics. and i would try to get into bios and change stuff, but when i say no output i mean absolutely nothing, i tried plugging in a spare mouse and keyboard to mash f2, but the laser on the mouse would no even light up.

NowJoJo

Reputable
Apr 7, 2017
Maybe try removing the HDD and then push all the common BIOS buttons (F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc) etc... to see if you can get into the bios and get a signal, other than that I'm not sure sorry. Edit: also try plugging the kb&m direct into mobo, if nothing try the case ports

Aug 17, 2020
the power cable for the hard drive was jammed in and would not come out, but i disconnected the data cable and powered it on, still nothing. is it possible that the chipset graphics are dead?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS