[SOLVED] NO video output through GPU but Onboard Video is Outputs Video EVEN WHEN THE GPU IS PLUGGED IN

Mar 11, 2021
Hello Techies!

I have a gtx 1050ti (its a bit of a old system, i just use it to game). recently while i was in a valorant match , my video suddenly went out(Screem blacked out) but it seems that still that the PC was still working.so i removed the GPU and then ran through my onboard!it worked fine! but then i plugged my GPU again but I couldnt get video output but i think the PC did boot up cause the keyboard numlock was working and all post signs were there.so i decided to clean the gpu ( cleaned up the PCB a bit) then plugged it back to the the 2nd PCIE slot (not the same one) and to my surprise it worked . and everything was fine. but unfortunately, my screen blacked out again while i was gaming , this time i have no luck! ITS WEIRD BUT EVEN WHEN I HAVE PLUGGED IN THE GPU, THE PC STILL BOOTS FROM THE ONBOARD GPU. technically the PC does not recognize the gpu at all. So does this mean my gpu is dead or by anychance my PCI E slots have burned?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Solution
Your second pcie x16 slot runs only at X4, not at X16 which is better performance for graphics.
Since you eventually failed when installed there, I would focus on tests using the main pcie X16 slot.

What might have changed since all was well?

What is the bios level of your motherboard?
On 5/25/2016, the current level was 1.40.

However, there are a large number of updates since then, with the latest being 7.30 from 3/13/2018
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B150M Pro4Hyper/index.asp#BIOS
It is not clear to me why they label these as Beta bios updates.
I would not immediately try to flash the bios without having a definitive reason.

My suspect might be the psu. When gaming, a psu gets pushed harder. Not that a GTX1050ti needs...
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What is the make/model of your psu?
Is your Nvidia driver current?
Download directly from nvidia, not a "helper" site which may introduce unwanted malware.

Dumb question,
Is your monitor plugged into the port on the graphics adapter you are trying to test?
It needs to be so.

The motherboard bios should have a setting as to which adapter(onboard/discrete) you want as primary.
The usual default is to use the integrated adapter except when a discrete card is detected.

A discrete card should always be installed in the primary pcie x16 slot.
That is normally the one closest to the cpu.

Does this black out happen on only one game?
If so, there may be a game patch available.

Mar 11, 2021
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What is the make/model of your psu?
Is your Nvidia driver current?
Download directly from nvidia, not a "helper" site which may introduce unwanted malware.

Dumb question,
Is your monitor plugged into the port on the graphics adapter you are trying to test?
It needs to be so.

The motherboard bios should have a setting as to which adapter(onboard/discrete) you want as primary.
The usual default is to use the integrated adapter except when a discrete card is detected.

A discrete card should always be installed in the primary pcie x16 slot.
That is normally the one closest to the cpu.

Does this black out happen on only one game?
If so, there may be a game patch available.
hi !
my motherboard is a ASROCK B150 pro 4 hyper!PSU is a gamemax 550W 80+ bronze( its 4 years old as well) and yes monitor was plugged in to the gpu i was testing! and after the issue i cant seem to fing PCIe Detection in Bios.and yes all drivers were upto Date and was working fine until it blacked out. worked again fine as i told you after i cleaned the gpu PCB and put in the other PCIe Slot, but just to black out agan, then thereafter the GPU is not detected. even when the GPU is plugged in Video Outputs from the onboard GPU.

Your second pcie x16 slot runs only at X4, not at X16 which is better performance for graphics.
Since you eventually failed when installed there, I would focus on tests using the main pcie X16 slot.

What might have changed since all was well?

What is the bios level of your motherboard?
On 5/25/2016, the current level was 1.40.

However, there are a large number of updates since then, with the latest being 7.30 from 3/13/2018
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B150M Pro4Hyper/index.asp#BIOS
It is not clear to me why they label these as Beta bios updates.
I would not immediately try to flash the bios without having a definitive reason.

My suspect might be the psu. When gaming, a psu gets pushed harder. Not that a GTX1050ti needs all that much.
See if you can't test with a known good quality psu of at least 450w.

Solution