[SOLVED] No video output when gpu connected.

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I'm trying to set up a new build, using a gtx 1070, an i7 4790 that I've just freed up, upgrading my main pc, and a used micro atx motherboard, an msi H81M-P33.
I've installed windows afresh, using an old vga monitor plugged into the onboard graphics. That works fine, but every time I attach the 1070 the computer won't boot properly.
It only shows a black screen, no boot logo or bios option. It definitely doesn't complete booting, as the computer never appears on the network and remote desktop won't connect either. In fact, after 10 seconds or so the fans stop spinning on the 1070 so something's not happy.
While the new gpu is plugged in there's no output from either onboard or pci-e.
I tried booting to safe mode. No help. I tried installing the nvidia drivers while booted in on the inboard, but they need the graphics card to be in place to even install them. I thought if I just left it running it might update drivers itself, but it's never actually booting.
Any ideas?
The 1070 definitely works, I've had it in my other pc to test.
It's got all 8 power pins connected, 6+2 from my 500w psu.
Is this older motherboard not compatible? I gave it the most up to date bios update before installing my i7 4790.
I've cleared cmos. (by removing the battery, couldn't see then jumper)

All other posts I've seen about this suggest going into bios, or safe mode, but while the gpu is in its going nowhere.

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I can't see an option for that. The only thing in bios that looks like pci e settings is just an information screen.
It says it's realtek pci family driver, dated from 2013. Perhaps it needs an update?

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Unfortunately no settings like that for video. Just 'Integrated Graphics Configuration' that only has Initial Graphic Adapter - PEG / IGD, memory settings, and IGD Multi-Monitor on or off. I've tried changing these.

Looking to update the realtek drivers, they all talk about being lan drivers

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks, that's where I got it from. Thing is, I chose the most up to date, date-wise, not the highest version number. I'll try again with a higher version

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Yes, the 2018 one was the one I flashed it with. Same version number as an early one though which was weird, so even after updating the version number looks identical! Trying again now with the second most recent bios. At least by version number I'll be able to tell it's a new version!

Ben-B

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
So I updated with a 2015 version and the bios screen did pop up just for a second on the pci-e graphics card, so I guess that's progress. But for some reason every other boot seems to be a hang, going to black screen. The fans continue, power light on, but no boot. And the same thing happens every time the bios was updated and 'rebooted'. Any reboot seems to go to a black screen, leaving me to long-press the power to kill it and try again.

So I can now get to bios on the PCI-E graphics, but not to Windows. And boots and reboots usually hang, even on integrated.

Perhaps I should buy a new motherboard insted of this used one?!