No Video Output

devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Good-day all,

I bought a 're-built' system off an aquantance of mine awhile back (few months) and the rig was working 100% until the night before last. I came home went to power it up and there was no video output. I trouble shot the cables and the monitor I use, both are 100%. The MOBO is a replacement Asus A8V-XE straight from factory, (the previous MOBO had been shorted out) but these are the specifications

ASUS A8V-XE MOBO
2Gigs DDR RAM (Crucial brand)
*HAD* nVidia GeForce 8500 GT GPU PCIe (tried to replace with ATI Radeon 4350 PCIe)
450W PSU that came stock (i presume) with the Cooler-Master case.

at first I assumed it was a faulty GPU, so grasping at the opportunity I went out and got a new ATI Radeon 4350; it didn't help. So then I decided some in-depth house cleaning was in order so I took apart the entire rig and rebuilt it cleaning it all up as I went...it didn't help. So heres my bottom line problem...

I have no video-out put with either discrete GPU (there is no intergrated GPU); the PSU appears to be working fine, (but I have my doubts about it, this is what I've been leaning towards) however all 3 factory fans work 100% and the MOBO lights up. The RAM is older DDR but I have no reasons to suspect it. I'm dreading a MOBO replacement socket 939's are hard to come by and I dont really want to have to drop too much into fixing this problem by falling into the cascade of upgrades with a MOBO change. Any ideas?

I just want to re-establish that I don't have ANY video at all; as far as I can tell it isn't posting, and its definitely NOT loading up XP ive waited many-a-minutes waiting for those damned chimes and they never come...HELP!

devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
So, this is were I'm at: square one.

I went out and got 2 gigs of fresh DDR RAM...nothing; but I tried the originals too; also nothing.

So then, I went back out and got a 500W Rocketfish PSU trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, A. Possibly not having enough "umph", and B. The original dying; well, nothing...Although I did run into a bit of a snag, my new PSU doesn' have the correct ATX12V connection, it only has a 2x3 (6pin) and my MOBO (A8V-XE) has a 2x2 (4 pin) ATX12V pinset. Therefore; I setup all possible power connections on the new 550W PSU and applied my old 400W to the ATX12V pins...of course nothing.

I also tried clearing the RTC RAM; by resetting the CMOS..etc...nothing

So...now I'm back down to finding a new MOBO...So, if anyone has a spare Socket939 laying around, contact me; I'll buy it from you because no one else does...until then I'll be starting a budget for a new MOBO an CPU

(just for giggles this is what I'm aiming for:
Biostar TA790GX 128M Motherboard AMD 790GX, AM2+ 128MB DDR2 Side-Port
AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor

with (also for giggles)
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory)

...nothing crazy but a guy with a budget can still hang with the big boys