I just built a new pc with the following components:

MSI B360M Gaming Plus motherboard
Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz Processor Without Graphics
Patriot Viper Elite DDR4 RAM (2x4GB) 2666 MHZ
WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s
ASUS 24x DVD-RW SATA optical drive
XION 630-Watt Power Supply
3 case fans

I do not have a separate graphics card (the MOBO has integrated graphics).
Windows has not yet been installed on the HD (I have Windows 10 on a USB).
I have a VGA cable from the MOBO to my monitor.

When I turn on the power, the fans all operate, including the CPU fan; I get no beeps from the speaker; but my monitor gets no signal. I have tried this with two different monitors--same result. I have checked to make sure the RAM is properly installed, and I have tried it with only one RAM stick installed. Still no signal.

I need help figuring out why I get no video signal. Do I need to install a graphics card to get a signal (since the processor does not have integrated graphics)? Should I try a DVI cable (both the MOBO and the monitor have DVI ports)? Is this a BIOS problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Your CPU does not support integrated graphics. Your motherboard does not have a video chip and it will only display a picture if your CPU supports integrated graphics. Because of this, with your CPU, you are not going to get any video signal from the motherboard.
The -f suffix on the CPU means no integrated graphics.

You will need to add a dedicated graphics card in order to get the setup to boot with video.

Jun 17, 2019
Your CPU does not support integrated graphics. Your motherboard does not have a video chip and it will only display a picture if your CPU supports integrated graphics. Because of this, with your CPU, you are not going to get any video signal from the motherboard.

You will need to add a dedicated graphics card in order to get the setup to boot with video.

Ah, I suspected this was the problem. The MOBO and CPU were sold to me as a package deal, and I assumed they would put a CPU that supports integrated graphics with a MOBO that has them. Guess it's never safe to assume...
Thanks for confirming!