No Video Signal from New Motherboard, Motherboard Defective?

Mister San Sebastian

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hello,

I am a first time builder here and first time forums poster. Need help please!

I did a motherboard, cpu and ram swap. All are new and installed properly along with an old gpu. But when I try to power on, my monitor does not receive any signal via vga port. No video. I've also tried it via the gpu and hdmi to tv, no luck. I do have however LEDs, usb power working fine, heatsink and fans are on etc.
I've tried everything on this list here in the link below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I made sure heatsink, paste, cpu are properly installed. Gpu is properly installed. 4 pin power to 8 pin socket in mobo. Cmos reset, takenout battery. Monitor connect to vga. Ram is installed. Etc etc. I've assembled and reassembled the whole thing and done what the list above includes.

How can I determine if I have a defective motherboard that needs to be returned?

I am eyeing a probable cause though, I am only allowed to use a 4 pin for the 8 pin socket on the mobo from the 12v atx power supply that I currently have. I don't see any other outlets with the proper shapes to match the remaining 4. I did'nt have any problems with the 12 pin.

Below is my build:
Motherboard: (new) Asus z170 Pro Gaming
Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W Atx12v
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 660
RAM: (new) corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb
CPU: (new) Intel Core i7-6700K

I've been reading around the web, can't find anything that would help me determine what problem I'm having. HELP!

Mister San Sebastian

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
It does but it has a different socket shape. I tried it anyways and was able to get it in, but no video still. I just separated it kept it a 4 since this is the only one with the right shape sequence.

TRENDING THREADS