No video signal from PC (tried everything)

Stealthwolf667

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hello there Tom’s Hardware!

Unfortunately, I have tried everything to solve what is 90% of the time a very simple problem. I plug my computer into a monitor, and the monitor continues saying there is no signal even when it is on.

Here is what I have tried to fix this problem:

A. Different Cables
B. Different Monitors
C. Different GPU slots on my MB
D. Different RAM
E. Resetting motherboard BIOS with my MB’s manual switch
F. Having only the OS hard drive connected to my MB
G. Having no drive connected to my MB
H. Different video cards

This was a very, very sudden problem. Two days ago, my computer was working just fine. Then, I turned it off for the night, and turned it back on the next day to this problem. I went to the store and have bought a new video card, a 1080 Ti and the problem still remains, even with an AMD video card.

The one thing I have not done is run a cord directly from my motherboard to my monitor. I have never found a vga cable that does this, however, as my motherboard has a male VGA input, so a female VGA can screw into it. All female VGA’s I’ve found can only have something screwed into it, not screwed into something else.

Anyways, I was super excited to get my rig going with my new card, but I guess that will have to wait. My motherboard is definitely due for a replacement, I got it in 2013 and it’s a 2013 Model, but is there anything else at all that I can try before just saying that my motherboard is a dud and getting a new one?

I have the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. I have the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti w/ 11GB memory.

Solution
Your MB doesn't have connector for VGA, it's Serial port connector (Rs232) what you see so you'll never find a cord to fit it to VGA monitor. I don't know which processor you might have but it's definitively not worthy of 1080Ti card. It's also very likely that your PSU is not good enough for that GPU even if the rest is OK.
Your MB doesn't have connector for VGA, it's Serial port connector (Rs232) what you see so you'll never find a cord to fit it to VGA monitor. I don't know which processor you might have but it's definitively not worthy of 1080Ti card. It's also very likely that your PSU is not good enough for that GPU even if the rest is OK.

Solution