Question No video signal when graphics card is plugged in

Justinclewis94

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I'm doing a new computer build. Got everything put together and tried to start for the first time. Got one short beep from the sys speaker indicating everything was fine, but had no signal on my monitor.
Then I unplugged the GPU and plugged the HDMI directly into the motherboard, and the computer started just fine with a video signal and everything.
When the GPU is plugged in, I get no signal from the mobo HDMI or the GPU HDMI.
When the GPU is unplugged, the mobo HDMI works fine.
In the BIOS, I changed my Initial Display Output from PCIe (default) to IGD Video. With that setting, I was unable to get a signal from the GPU or the MoBo, even if the GPU is unplugged. I had to use a jumper to reset my cmos to get anything to show up.

The GPU fan spins, so it's getting power.
The BIOS is up to date.
I don't have a DVI cord to test my other GPU output, and I don't have another GPU to test the PCIe slot on the mobo.

Any other ideas before I return this GPU for being DOA?

Motherboard: Gigabyte ab350-mds3h
GPU: Gigabyte Geforece GT 1030
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
600w PSU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When you plug dedicated GPU in the PC and even when you don't plug your monitor cable to it, CPU's on-board graphics (Vega 8) is automatically disabled and PC tries to use dedicated GPU. That's why you don't get any signal on your monitor when you have monitor plugged to the MoBo while your have dedicated GPU in the system.

As far as GPU HDMI goes, it usually doesn't work until you've installed GPU drivers. To get around that, use DVI port on GPU or pre-install GPU drivers without GPU being in the system.

Of course, you GPU can be DOA as well. To confirm that, put your GPU into another working system and look if it works there or not. If not, your GPU is dead and you're looking towards GPU RMA/return.