[SOLVED] No video, still boots

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
i have a old amd fm1 system using onboard video i let my girlfriend use the past few years. few days ago she tried to turn it on and all of a sudden no video. im completely stumped. the system is booting to windows because with speakers hooked up you can still hear the new device noise when swapping cables. ive tried everything from cables ram monitors discrete video cards and power supply swapping with another system. is it possible for a motherboard to just lose video regardless of output but still boot and function?

Solution
if your motherboard by its self has a video out put like VGA,HDMI or whatever on the I/O plate where you hook up all your other stuff, then it has a video chip usually just a real crappy one that will let you watch YouTube , in most cases server motherboards have no video chipset

regardless if your CPU has a built in graphics helper or not I dont think you would hear windows chime in if the CPU was dead or not functioning it wouldn't load anything but you know it loading something because you can hear it,

there are other work arounds for a dead onboard video chip sets I have had success with when trying to get it to take and boot with a added video card, you could reset the bios via the jumper with the PCIE video card installed...

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
it still show nothing with a dedicated gpu?
no video with dedicated either. i tried all different parts of what i mentioned and still nothing. but its still apparently in windows giving audio notifications for new devices being plugged/unplugged. im pretty tech saavy and have troubleshooted my way out of any issue encountered until this. i dont have another motherboard or cpu for fm1 to test. it just doesnt make sense to me it would still boot to windows

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
can you see the bios splash screen or no

A lot of times those old motherboards have a onboard video chipset that fails due to old age and you cant get into the bios and change it to only use PEG instead of the on board graphics, if you cant see the bios boot slash screen then assume that the board is toast, you could try the old school heat gun trick on the motherboard video chipset with the IHS and thermal paste removed let it cool down and apply new paste and re assemble, it sometimes works. its the same thing that used to happen to the ps3 and Xbox with the red ring or ylod

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
can you see the bios splash screen or no

A lot of times those old motherboards have a onboard video chipset that fails due to old age and you cant get into the bios and change it to only use PEG instead of the on board graphics, if you cant see the bios boot slash screen then assume that the board is toast, you could try the old school heat gun trick on the motherboard video chipset with the IHS and thermal paste removed let it cool down and apply new paste and re assemble, it sometimes works. its the same thing that used to happen to the ps3 and Xbox with the red ring or ylod
no bios, no video at all. its fm1 socket, gpu is on the cpu, not on motherboard. i see some old fm1 cpus on ebay dirt cheap i think ill just grab one to try. just seems really odd and makes no sense to me unless just the video can fail on the cpu but it still functions otherwise. i could be wrong but i was pretty certain when ive added/removed dedicated gpus to it in the past i didnt need to manually change the bios and it automatically booted from it

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
if your motherboard by its self has a video out put like VGA,HDMI or whatever on the I/O plate where you hook up all your other stuff, then it has a video chip usually just a real crappy one that will let you watch YouTube , in most cases server motherboards have no video chipset

regardless if your CPU has a built in graphics helper or not I dont think you would hear windows chime in if the CPU was dead or not functioning it wouldn't load anything but you know it loading something because you can hear it,

there are other work arounds for a dead onboard video chip sets I have had success with when trying to get it to take and boot with a added video card, you could reset the bios via the jumper with the PCIE video card installed and hooked up to a monitor

Solution

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019

there are other work arounds for a dead onboard video chip sets I have had success with when trying to get it to take and boot with a added video card, you could reset the bios via the jumper with the PCIE video card installed and hooked up to a monitor
reread my previous posts. at this point ive already done all testing there is to do. its just down to what is causing it the apu or motherboard. neither makes sense considering a dedicated card wont work either

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
frustrating i know been in your spot before, nxet setup you get just pop off all all the heat sinks on the board and get some real hi quality thermal paste and change it every other year, same with the graphics card too they can be re pasted and re built to last a life time

Last edited:

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
frustrating i know been in your spot before, net setup you get just pop off all all the heat sinks on the board and get some real hi quality thermal paste and change it every other year, same with the graphics card too they can be re pasted and re built to last a life time
its not a thermal paste issue and you dont need to change thermal paste every other year lol

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
The thermal paste will burn up over time and then thermal throttle the chips on a board and they just die after staying hot for to long and if the pc shuts off hot like right when you get done playing fort night, for the night it will kill the chip instant . the recommended is 3 years for thermal paste, look it up

I have pulled pc's and councils out of the grave yard, bios reprograming, bios modifications broken sockets bent pins ,trace repair. hell I even have my own software I made to fix computers

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The thermal paste will burn up over time and then thermal throttle the chips on a board and they just die after staying hot for to long and if the pc shuts off hot like right when you get done playing fort night, for the night it will kill the chip instant . the recommended is 3 years for thermal paste, look it up

I have pulled pc's and councils out of the grave yard, bios reprograming, bios modifications broken sockets bent pins ,trace repair. hell I even have my own software I made to fix computers
I have cards that have never been repasted and run just fine 6970 is that old enough? I have never needed to repast my CPU still running a 2500K in one PC.

ar28

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
wow that's really impressive, do you bitcoin mine with it or just light gaming
even if youre doing heavy gaming or mining there should be no need to repaste anything. MAYBE if youre super hardcore about your gear and overclocking or care about every degree possible. but even then its not going to be a functional vs non functional situation. the computer in question is 10 years old now and never had thermal issues. it served as a daily gaming pc for its first few years and has been a secondary web/streaming to tv pc since then

something decided to give up but the symptoms just dont make sense. it should either give an error and not boot or it should work with a dedicated card but neither is true lol. anyways if anyone has come across a similar issue id love to hear what the outcome was. dont need more tips on testing it unless you wanna send me a old fm1 board or cpu :p

TRENDING THREADS