[SOLVED] No video, VGA light on

Nov 23, 2020
I got a new GPU recently, and today I'm no longer able to get into BIOS or the OS.

Basic timeline:
Everything was working fine for months.
Purchased a ASUS TUF 3080.
Installed the 3080.
No video.
Swapped back to 980 TI.
Updated BIOS.
Changed the PCIE setting from 'auto' to 'GEN3'. (forget the exact name of this setting)
Swapped to 3080.
Booted without issue. (some weird fan issues with the 3080, but I that's unrelated)

A few days later I noticed my RAM was running at 2133Hz instead of 3600Hz. (it had been previously running at 3600Hz without issue)
I tried setting it to 3600Hz in BIOS, failed POST afterwards.
No video on subsequent boots.
Swapped back to the 980 TI.
Reset CMOS.
Booted successfully.
Swapped back to 3080.
No video.
Swapped back to 980 TI.
Still no video.

Now I'm stuck in this state. GPU lights and fans come alive, but there is no output on any of my cards. I've tried swapping out the RAM, did not help. I've tried resetting CMOS and rebooting a million times now and I'm not sure what else to try. I'm not sure how to get to the CMOS battery on this MB, and after chatting with ASUS support it seems like it's not easy to do.

Is there anything else I can try short of replacing the motherboard?

Hardware:
MB: ASUS Strix X570-I
CPU: Ryzen 3950X
GPU: RTX 3080, GTX 980 TI, GTX 770 (same issue with all 3)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600MHz 2x16GB (I've tried some other RAM I have, same issue)

Solution

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Try unplug psu, reset cmos and then hold in power button on case see if that doesn't drain juice out of mobo. Not sure why it would be more difficult ti remove battery from your mobo they usually right there. It enclosed for some reason?

Also hav this annoyance when overclock gpu too much. Then I have to reset cmos but I have veritical gpu water cooled so it really is nearly impossible to get my battery.

Another thing that work was put in recovery usb and that let me in to where I could reboot to uefi.

Have little leds on my mobo too and vga light enjoys staying on even when monitor works ok. Very annoying its been hit or miss whether it on or nots.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020
Solution