No video with Radeon 64 DDR

G

I just put together a new system with an ASUS CUV266 with PIII 1gh, 256mb Crucial DDR memory, and an ATI Radeon 64 (retail box). I used an Antec case with a 250 watt power supply and this is coupled with a ViewSonic P810 21" monitor (but a ViewSonic 19" gave me the same problem). The OS is Windows 2000. Lets leave out the other cards for now because I have the same problem with or without them. Here's my problem. When I boot up, sometimes the monitor will light up and sometimes it won't. If I let the system just sit there unplugged for 15 or 20 minutes, it will light up pretty consistently. But if I turn it off, I am nearly guaranteed that I will have no monitor. I have tried changing several Dip switches controlling power to the AGP, PCI and Memory etc., etc... but nothing makes any difference. Could it be the 250 watt power supply? Would any or all of you give me some leads? Help!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
I am almost certain that the problem is your :
psu(PowerSUpply)
i think this because a 250w power supply may be enough for your old video card, but when you throw something in that is a litle more powerful, it may be sucking up too much juice. also, you are running a 1ghz p3, you should have at least a 300w PSU. and if you have a bunch of hard drives, add-on cards, fans, etc in your case, then it is definately a power issue. i dont think it is the monitor, especially considering the problem happened on two different monitors. my little brother's 233 pentium 1 system runs on a 250w psu. that is plenty for his system.
but in your case, i would suggest that you go to pricewatch and see how much you can get a 300-400w psu for. if you are planning on expanding your comp, go for the 400w. and if you are planning on modding your case, and adding lights and crap, you can pick up a 650w psu on pricewatch for $160 plus shipping.
check it out.
www.pricewatch.com
if anyone thinks that i am wong about this being a power issue, then let me know. i am all for learning!
-DAvid