ujalu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Just put together my first homebuilt system and its not getting any video.

Most of the parts came from here http://www.hardware-revolution.com/500-gaming-build/

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Quad-Core AM3 95W
motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P: Socket AM3, AMD 770 Chipset, ATX
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1.5V DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
video card: Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 DirectX 11
PSU: Corsair CX400W PSU
harddrive, dvd drive, case: don't know, using parts from old/broken computer

checklist http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
1.yes
2.yes
3.yes
4.pretty sure the video card is in good, the little latch is locked it
5.yes
6.tried memory in both of the blue slots, didn't bother with the white ones
7.yes, the latches are fully up
8.yes
9.not sure, is there a way to check this with out taking the heatsink off
10.yes.
11.using stock heatsink and stock thermal past
12.yes
13.yes
14.no
15.tried to, may have touched it a few time without discharging
16.not sure missed how to install system speakers
17.yes
18.yes
19.don't know anything about BIOS revision
20.or CMOS
21.don't think it has integrated video, but not sure how to tell

My RAM isn't listed as compatible with my mobo here http://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb_memory_ga-ma770t-ud3p.pdf (one of them is only 2 numbers different from my RAMs model number) I had hoped that the website's guide that i used would have checked the compatibility.

And my dvd drive isn't opening, but I'm not worrying about that yet.

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
That board does not have built in video. In my experience the most common reason that a new build doesn't have video is that someones forgotten to plug in all the necessary video card power connectors, but you said you've done this. I would try:

1. Try the video card in a different PCIe slot

2. Try a different video card. Doesn't have to be the same on, just any other PCIe card. If you dont have one lying around, try buying one locally for testing purposes, and when you're done just return it :)

Also, is the video card fan running or not?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
In addition to djg9205's comments, I would advise:
1. Retry step 6. This is important. Take 1 stick of RAM and try it in each slot one at a time. Board problems can cause one stick to work when 2 will not, also trying each slot can rule out slot problems.

2. Step 16 may be the most important. When you can't figure out what's going on, you need a system speaker so you can hear the beep codes coming from BIOS. Here's an example of one you can get: http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html Pick up a speaker and connect it to the board. What do you hear when you start up?

Another option - which is always a good one - is to take breadboard your PC. Take it apart and assemble just the components you need outside the case. Start with the motherboard, install the CPU and the HSF. Connect the PSU. Does the HSF turn on? If so, move on to the RAM. Finally try the video card. If that works, plug in a monitor. At no point should you have any extras installed including case buttons or ports, hard drives, usb devices, etc. It helps to have a system speaker at this point so you can verify the beeps that you get. But you can try by monitoring the HSF. If it doesn't turn on, or does and then stops, you know you have a problem. If it runs, well, you won't really know if it's working until you get the monitor connected.

ujalu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
My motherboard only has 1 PCIe16 slot.
I tried a different video card and still no video.
And all of the fans are running.

Tried a stick in all 4 slots.
Tried the breadboard thing but without actually taking the motherboard out of the case. With nothing plugged in but power switch and cpu all fans spin. With memory all fan spun. And all fans where still spinning with the video card in.

I think my case might have a system speaker cable, my old computer in the same case would overheat and make beeps when I turned it back on. What do the VCC, HPout, and Mic in cables do. All of those cables are in my case and I don't know what they do or if their important.
Do you think I can get a system speaker locally, I'd rather get this computer working as soon as I can.

I'd also like to get a conformation on the motherboard and memory compatibility the hardware recommendation guide I chose them from says yes, but the motherboard's website says no. Anyone know which is correct.

If I can't get this working in a few days I'll probably just give up and see if a local computer store can troubleshoot this for me.

That RAM will work fine with your motherboard. I've used similar setups before with no problems. You need to carefully read page 16 in your motherboard owners manual. It explains exactly what RAM slots you're supposed to use for dual channel operation. You use one white and one blue slot.

So you're 100% sure the 8-pin CPU power connector to the lower-left of the CPU socket is firmly plugged in? I know you said you had performed step #2, but you also said you had performed step #1. If you had actually performed step #1 you would have known what RAM slots to use instead of trying both blue slots first.

ujalu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

My motherboard's owners manual says if using two memory modules to put them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 which are the two on the left and they are both blue. Quote to prove to you that I did read the owners manual "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed and chips be used in the same colored DDR3 socked for optimal performance." And I've tried each socket individually so if one of them worked I should have gotten video.

I'm pretty sure that the 8-pin CPU power connector is in as firmly as it can, unless theirs some trick to getting it in right. MY PSU has two 4-pin connectors if that makes a difference.

Right here you need the system speaker.

If PSU, CPU, and motherboard are working, you should hear a series of long beeps (G'byte and eVGA boards, yours may be different). Silence indicates a problem with PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Insert one stick. Boot. Beeps should change to one long and two short indicating missing video card. Silence or the long beeps means bad RAM.

If the video interface between the motherboard and the video card is good, you will get a single short beep indicating the POST ran successfully. Notice that I didn't say "video card". The BIOS has no way to determine if the innards of the video card are good. Also notice that you do not need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, or drives to successfully POST (a single short beep) or unsuccessfully POST (anything else besides silence).

Does not make a difference. The Corsairs use a 4 X 4 connector that clips together. Make sure that the yellow wires face the edge of the board.

ujalu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, but this is too far over my head. so I gave up and just took my computer to an expert to get it fixed. Gonna cost me 45$ :( but at lest its less then what dell or hp would charge me.