No way to get admin rights on my PC

Aayyra

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello, I am having an infuriating problem here. Basically, there is absolutely no way to get admin right on my own pc. I recently updated to win 10 with clean reboot. I was installing all the programs when I came to installing my old office from dvd, it gave me an error message "You must have administrative privileges to install or uninstall this product". Then similar message appeared everytime I tried to install some game that required to install something additional, for example anticheat. So I googled it and tried literally everything I found.

1. I tried to get admin rights through command prompt, but of course you have to run command prompt as admin to become admin (wtf?) so basically when I go Win key+X---command prompt (admin) it just runs as normal command prompt and I can´t do anything there, I get "Access denied" everytime.
2. I tried to switch the account to admin, I chceck the option but nothing happens. I tried the same with local account, but same result.
3. I tried to add a new account (without microsoft account) that I thought would solve this, but I got an error 0x80070005 - "Sorry, something occured. this user can´t be added to this computer". Thanks.
4. I don´t even have (!) an option "Family and other users" in my account settings so I can´t add an account through that either.
5.I tried Win+R --- "control userpasswords2" where I can see I am in user group. I tried to switch it to admin there but "Access denied" and then "Membership in the group for user -my name- can not be updated" (Sorry for rough translation, I have it in my native language) When I switch to more options tab there, I can see in "advanced management of user accounts" in the users folder, that there are 4 accounts in this pc, mine, and then Guest, Default account and Administrator (that should be the built-in admin). I tried to create a new account there, but again, acceess denied.

Maybe I´m just dumb but how the hell can I get admin rights on my own pc, if I can´t change accounts, add accounts and run anything as admin. And WHY is this not default to be admin on your own pc?
Guys please help I am so desperate after several days of trying to fix this. I am out of options, and so far, I found a solution to every pc problem here so I hope someone will know what to do. Thank you a lot in advance.

Solution
When you say clean reboot, did you update to win 10 and then choose to not keep anything?. If you haven't got much on the PC I would do a fresh install instead. Upgrades can just do weird things, and without admin access you can't do much to fix this any other way.

You can get win 10 installer from here. Just use that to make a win 10 USB or DVD

If you upgraded from win 7, then win 10 will want to delete all partitions on the hdd so make sure to copy everything off first.

follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you get to part asking for licence key, click "skip" or "I don't have a key" and win 10 will activate itself on install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you say clean reboot, did you update to win 10 and then choose to not keep anything?. If you haven't got much on the PC I would do a fresh install instead. Upgrades can just do weird things, and without admin access you can't do much to fix this any other way.

You can get win 10 installer from here. Just use that to make a win 10 USB or DVD

If you upgraded from win 7, then win 10 will want to delete all partitions on the hdd so make sure to copy everything off first.

follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you get to part asking for licence key, click "skip" or "I don't have a key" and win 10 will activate itself on install.

Solution

Aayyra

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
First I only upgraded to win 10, because I had some problems with running stuff on my win7, but it did not change, so I did a clean reinstall the second time, without keeping anything. That fixed it, but now I have this problem. I would prefer not to reinstall again, but if it turns out to be the only solution, I will have no choice :D Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you set pc up it normally sets your user as an admin so it seems strange it has taken that off you. Only if you make a local user that isn't admin should you have these issues. There is a built in admin account, not sure if it can be used to change other users, did you try to get it? http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

For any install Icon, and setup file be it, saved to the Hd of your system or from a Dvd install disk.
Simply right click on the Install icon, and from the pull down menu options bar select run as admin Aayyra. from windows 10 file explorer ect.

Aayyra

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Colif, yes I tried that right at the beginning, but you need to be running command prompt as admin, which is not possible for me. Otherwise you can´t do anything, you get "Access denied".

Shaun, I tried that as well, even if I click run as admin, I get the same "You must have administrative privileges to install or uninstall this product."

I´m gonna keep looking for solution, thanks for your ideas guys.

Aayyra

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Well, I ran out of options so I did a clean install from iso and problem solved, I am admin by default. I could not even install media creator because I was not an admin (lol) so I had to use a different program. But it worked out.
Thanks again for the help.

TRENDING THREADS