[SOLVED] No WiFi in windows 7

Sep 28, 2019
Hi,

I have installed windows 7 premium to an old laptop and installed all the drivers I can find.

I have a hp Pavillion g6.

For whatever reason I can't get WiFi to work, in device manager there is nothing under the network section and there is a pci item that's unknown with a exclamation mark next to it.

I'm really lost so would appreciate some help,

Josh

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'd need the entire model number (eg. g6-1d70us) to arrive at HP's support page for that specific model (and subsequently, the appropriate Wifi card).

Without a driver being installed, it's not going to be functional (I don't believe W7 had a 'baked in' Wifi driver like W8 and W10 have).

Were you using this laptop before the clean OS install? Did Wifi work then? Always possible the card is defective (or have been removed).

Sep 28, 2019
You'd need the entire model number (eg. g6-1d70us) to arrive at HP's support page for that specific model (and subsequently, the appropriate Wifi card).

Without a driver being installed, it's not going to be functional (I don't believe W7 had a 'baked in' Wifi driver like W8 and W10 have).

Were you using this laptop before the clean OS install? Did Wifi work then? Always possible the card is defective (or have been removed).
How could I find the model number? There is no sticker on the bottom and in system information it just shows as g6 notebook.

The WiFi card has worked fine for years, only stopped when I tried upgrading to win10 which I layer found out isn't supported on my device

How could I find the model number? There is no sticker on the bottom and in system information it just shows as g6 notebook.

The WiFi card has worked fine for years, only stopped when I tried upgrading to win10 which I layer found out isn't supported on my device
The specific model number should be on the bottom of the laptop and you can enter that or your serial number into the HP support page to get specific drivers for your laptop. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

TRENDING THREADS