No Win7 disk, no recovery partition, no warranty

notEZe

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I have a Dell Inspiron N4110 which is old an out of warranty. Because it's out of warranty Dell will not provide me recovery disks. Also, because my Win7 product key is an OEM key Microsoft won't allow me to download the Win7 iso. To make matters worse, I bought the computer used and there is no recovery partition. I got a virus and I need to wipe it but have no way to re-install Windows 7 Home Premium, which I do have a valid and legal product key for. All the sites that say they have an official Win7 iso turn out to be false. Microsoft has put an end to it, yes even at digital river. I have less than a month left of the semester and I need to get my laptop back in working order. Any help would be awesome!

notEZe

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Isn't downloading a torrent illegal? I have Wint7 Home Premium. I entered the license key at Microsoft's website and since it is a product key for a pre-installed (OEM) product they directed me to Dell for their recovery disks. I didn't get Win7 from Microsoft directly so they don't provide support. Dell won't help me because my computer is out of warranty. Pretty sure I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think I am just going to have to buy Windows again, maybe try Win8.1.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Do NOT d/l from a torrent as you have no idea what illegal or virus ridden garbage you could be getting for your money. Without a recovery disk or partition, you will have to buy the full license. Why not try running an AV to try to get rid of your infection before going that route? There is plenty of help available to clean your system if that is what you want to try first.

notEZe

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Thank you Dee Kay, yah I am not even thinking about doing anything that even seems illegal. Never been on, nor plan on going on, a Torrent site. I've been attempting to get rid of this virus for a week now, just when it seems like I got it all something else pops up. Plus, I wouldn't mind speeding this thing up and cleaning it out anyway. I have a new issue now, I got Windows 8.1 Pro and it won't install. I choose to "keep nothing" so it's like a complete wipe and install. Seems like everything is going to work and then it just says, "installing your previous version of windows". Gives me no reason or anything, just does it. I disabled my antivirus (avg free) and it does the same thing. Again I have Windows 7 Home Premium trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro. Any ideas anyone? Btw, thank you everyone for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Does your pc meet the minimum specs for 8.1? Are you picking the upgrade install or a fresh install? Have you ran chkdsk /f to check for any bad sectors or blocks on your HDD that stops the install? Disconnect any devices not needed like camera, printer, etc. and try again. Here are a couple links to try getting win 8.1 to install that may help resolve your issue.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm <--some good tips

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/cant-install-windows-8-installation-has-failed/93e46521-00c0-4fda-b6bd-7224372537df <--from MS on install problems

TRENDING THREADS