No Windows 7 Upgrades for Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Nice Shot! No upgrades for you guys. Maybe if you didn't try to sue MS.... this could of been avoided. I guess it has come to the point where companies have restrictions on what they can put on their own software.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
EU finally finished a lawsuit against a dieing browser and this is what happens. Well Europe is probably used to getting everything last anyways with complications.

G

I was gonna make clean install anyway since got win xp so.. meh :p

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Nah, this didnt do anything to the EU aside from give them a better version of MS for an upgrade price! Now they just get a better deal.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]Nice Shot! No upgrades for you guys. Maybe if you didn't try to sue MS.... this could of been avoided. I guess it has come to the point where companies have restrictions on what they can put on their own software.[/citation]

Most european citizens (me included) think the whole lawsuit thing is just as crazy and ridiculous as you do. 99.9% probably don't care at all or even know what's going on, though.

I guess I'd better load up Firefox Portable on a USB key *before* I reformat and install Win7 on the only computer in the house, then.. Otherwise my system will be permanently offline and I'll have to buy a new system with XP or Vista on it and then transfer Firefox from that I guess... Or maybe the days when ISPs sent CDs with browsers when you signed up are about to return... I thought Windows7 was about a cleaner, easier experience...?

Maybe there's some command line based FTP client in there to get a browser downloaded. But then the makers of FlashFXP would probably also sue MS...Wonder if they can even keep the command prompt in there. Aren't there companies making virtual DOS environments for Windows? How are people going to discover their products when Windows already comes with a command line interface?

The Windows8 EU version should just be a black screen, everything else has to be coded in using machine language.

[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Well Europe is probably used to getting everything last anyways with complications.[/citation]
Yeah, also more expensive. Vista Ultimate cost about twice as much in the EU compared to the US. Normally the EU Ripoff Tax™ is only about 30%.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
The people that actually buy their copy...

How do you think any business makes up for loss of money due to stolen products, they charge the people who wont steal it more. This was probably already taken into consideration before they set the prices.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
This is awesome, serves 'em right.

And yes I know that an enthusiast can easily procure a browser without IE, but let's see the backlash from the common user when their OS doesn't have a browser.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Browser ??.What browser,you just have to make sure that your hdd is partitioned,[you do partition your hdd now,don't you??..]
Then all you need do is create a partition called stores or some such and keep on it all YOUR stuff like your free anti spyware,search & destroy, etc,,,.your free anti virus,Avira,,comes to mind,and your free firewall Comodo f'r instance,,including a copy of your favourite non MS browser,, hell it's a no brainer..:)

G

I don't think this has to do with ensure "quality", but the lack of skills at microsoft, who don't know how to make anything.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]noAppleFan[/nom]I don't think this has to do with ensure "quality", but the lack of skills at microsoft, who don't know how to make anything.[/citation]
Obv you the grandmaster of the universe should just rewrite the code for the os all by yourself.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I was kinda hoping they would charge us full price for the upgrades - so we'd help them pay their (unfairly awarded) fine back to us.

The inconvenience is neglible really, as most professionals don't use the upgrade feature anyway (mostly it went wrong with 2000, xp and vista - why should it not on win7!)

sorin7486

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well I think us Europeans can handle such a minor inconvenience ... At least where I live the only people still using IE are those that don't know how to install anything else. And they're not going to do a windows install by themselves so what's the big deal ? Also the only people that actually pay for windows around here, are those that get it with a new computer. I bet no home user withing 100 miles is going to run to the store to get the new windows version once it's out.. upgrade or not. Haven't you heard ? it's all online now .... :)))

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
As an American I am shame from the nationalistic and hateful comments made so far. Just because MS is an American company they don't deserve that kind of blind support. Their actions against EU so far has been very short sighted. Here is why:
Fortunately, those running Windows Vista or XP won’t be stuck with paying for full version prices. Microsoft said that it would offer upgrade pricing on the full licenses (for those who qualify), though didn’t detail how it would go about verifying existing licenses. European customers will also get an offer for discounted upgrades starting July 15.
So the EU power users will get a full version of Windows 7 for the price of upgrade without the biggest security hole in Windows called IE. On the other hand USA power users will buy upgrade only version with IE. So if you system crashes and you need to re-install you have to install old OS, then patched and then re-install Windows 7. (I think I read that Windows 7 upgrade will not work like old XP where you need to insert the old Windows 2000 CD in order to install it.) For power user installing browser of their choice is not a problem and the average users that might have problem with that never will attempt to upgrade Windows in the first place. They will pay the OEM for that. So called inconvenience that you have to backup your data before full install is bogus. I hope that readers of this site have common sense to backup their data before they start the upgrade. The only problem is the time to re-install your applications, but guess what MS not guaranty that you not have to re-install them after the upgrade either.
So, I think the US users are getting the short stick here.

If MS some how insert some kind of check that required that old OS is installed in order start the install for EU users that have paid only upgrade price, but Windows Installer can’t perform the actual upgrade they just going to open new case that will allow the EC to fine them again, because they effectively will sell the Upgrade version that can’t do the upgrade.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
“We don't want to break anyone else's software, we don't want to break our own software, and we don't want the customer on the phone with support,” said Mike Ybarra, general manager of Windows Product Management, to the gadget blog.

Fortunately, those running Windows Vista or XP won’t be stuck with paying for full version prices. Microsoft said that it would offer upgrade pricing on the full licenses (for those who qualify), though didn’t detail how it would go about verifying existing licenses. European customers will also get an offer for discounted upgrades starting July 15.

Well if you didn't want to break anyone's software, why do you recommend upgrading? It is a recipe for breaking applications, just common sense.
And if you really didn't want to break anything, why didn't MS planned to include Firefox and or other browsers as the EU wanted, not made mandatory! Of course the verification of existing licences won't get much discount. This is the way MS works.
Bringing out new versions of Windows and try to make everybody to upgrade. Again and again.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I don't really understand why it would be so hard to uninstall IE when doing the upgrade, therefore no IE will be present on the system. Maybe this is why I am not a programmer ;)

christop

Distinguished
Why was it such a big deal to have IE bundled with 7.. Apple does it with safari.. You kinda need a browser to get to the browser you want. I used IE to get firefox. This is crazy to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.