[SOLVED] No Windows detected after Bios update

Nathan_56

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
I recently updated my Bios, it appeared to work properly. However something changed, the BIOS update applied, but Windows wouldn't boot afterwards.
The Bios settings appeared to have changed and the NVMe drive (C: Windows) was non-detectable. Windows Boot Manager was lost as an option.

I checked the drives (3) on another PC and the disks weren't registering as they should be.
Data exists on drive, but Disk Management says they are all empty.
I have been able to recover all the data using reclaime.

But I do have some passwords I would like access to still on the drive (one in particular).
So would like to know how I could get the Windows drive to register again. (The other drives data has all been retrieved)

MB is an ASUS B350-PLUS Prime.
Windows 10.
NVMe Drive - have an enclosure to connect via USB to the origin PC so don't need to enable the drive.
NVMe drive appears as not initialized currently.
Cannot see any variation in the drive data with Reclaime, i,e, EFI System Partition, Recovery Partition)

Would appreciate some help getting this resolved.
Are there some tools available that can locate previously set Partitions, etc and help rebuild whatever has been lost.

Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your SSD that's been afflicted by the BIOS update? Chances are you're going to have to reinstall the OS, leaving behind what can't be retrieved. Why do I say leaving behind, is because data recovery experts will always state that your mileage can and will vary from one user to another user, from one drive to another drive.

I recently updated my Bios, it appeared to work properly. However something changed, the BIOS update applied, but Windows wouldn't boot afterwards.
The Bios settings appeared to have changed and the NVMe drive (C: Windows) was non-detectable. Windows Boot Manager was lost as an option.

I checked the drives (3) on another PC and the disks weren't registering as they should be.
Data exists on drive, but Disk Management says they are all empty.
I have been able to recover all the data using reclaime.

But I do have some passwords I would like access to still on the drive (one in particular).
So would like to know how I could get the Windows drive to register again. (The other drives data has all been retrieved)

MB is an ASUS B350-PLUS Prime.
Windows 10.
NVMe Drive - have an enclosure to connect via USB to the origin PC so don't need to enable the drive.
NVMe drive appears as not initialized currently.
Cannot see any variation in the drive data with Reclaime, i,e, EFI System Partition, Recovery Partition)

Would appreciate some help getting this resolved.
Are there some tools available that can locate previously set Partitions, etc and help rebuild whatever has been lost.

Thank you
Just curious after the bios update was the storage mode changed?
Ide/ahci/raid.

Nathan_56

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
Hello,

There was mention of RAID on one error screen I saw, but didn't check those settings as I hadn't had them enabled.
Seems all very strange to me, the only thing I could think I may have done wrong is skipping a few BIOS updates, which Im not sure if that would even be an issue typically.

I've found this tool, which shows me some partitions. https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-guide/partition-recovery.html
Restored those which appeared to be the correct ones (2 extra partitions which may have been an original install)
Its now booting to BSOD, so just running a repair. Is working much better than it was.

Nathan_56

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
Make and model of your SSD that's been afflicted by the BIOS update? Chances are you're going to have to reinstall the OS, leaving behind what can't be retrieved. Why do I say leaving behind, is because data recovery experts will always state that your mileage can and will vary from one user to another user, from one drive to another drive.

All drives SSD x2 + NVMe, don't think its particular to the drives. Theres a bunch of data there, enough to recover at least some files but still not wanting to boot Windows so you may be correct.
Will give it some more trys and see how it goes and see if I can get it to work.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Just curious after the bios update was the storage mode changed?
Ide/ahci/raid.

Hello,

There was mention of RAID on one error screen I saw, but didn't check those settings as I hadn't had them enabled.
One of those would have been enabled anyway, might be good to check what is enabled and if not AHCI try to change to that.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
One thing that happens during bios updates is the boot method can be changed, did you check to see if BIOS was set as Legacy boot rather than UEFI? That would maybe explain lack of windows boot manager

I don't know if it explains no data on drives, depends on if 2nd pc is mbr or gpt, as gpt drives can appear as empty to mbr

Just a thought :)