Question No zero RPM option with custom fan curve in Radeon settings?

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
I'm running a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ SE with AMD Adrenaline 19.4.1 drivers. I would like to run a custom fan curve, but whenever I go into Wattman and turn the fan control from automatic to custom, the zero RPM option becomes disabled and I cannot set my fan to run at 0% at any temperature. Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is?

I suppose a secondary question stems from my desire to control the fan curve manually in the first place. When gaming, my card gets up to 77 degrees C, and I would like to keep it lower. I've read so many conflicting thoughts on "safe" temperatures for this GPU, that I'm erring on the side of caution. Is 77C normal, high, or anything to worry about? At idle, it runs anywhere from 35C to 45C with the fans stopped, depending on ambient temps, so I'm not too worried about my overall cooling setup.

Thanks!

77c is normal. You're overthinking.

But do try other software like MSI Afterburner. See if it works for you.

If it doesn't, you can make a fan curve 20% at low temp up to 50c, make a rising curve 20%->40% up to 60c, 40%->50% up to 70c and leave it at 50% for 70c+ temps. You'll have a silent GPU with decent cooling when needed. Check if it stays below 80c while gaming.

If you're really concerned about temperature and fan speed, you can switch to the secondary ("Quiet") BIOS, which has a clock speed of 1340 rather 1411 MHz. There's a tiny switch on the top of the card to do this, obviously make sure the PC is powered off before switching it. Performance will be very slightly reduced, but it should run cooler/quieter.

You can try undervolting your card for even lower temps. Search for 'undervolting RX580 Nitro+" and see if you're willing to go into that.

Last edited:

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Traditore, thanks for the reply. I uninstalled Trixx, DDU uninstalled the AMD drivers. After reinstalling the AMD drivers and then Afterburner, I can now set a custom fan curve that works flawlessly. I don't mind the noise so much, as it's cheaper to replace fans than a GPU.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll also look into undervolting.