[SOLVED] Noctua and NZXT fans on Kraken X62

Aleved

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
I'm planning on using the Kraken x62 in push pull configuration. I currently have two Noctua A14 and the two NZXT fans that came with the cooler.

Is it dumb to use the Noctua fans on one side of the radiator and the NZXT fans on the other side? Will the speed of the fans synchronize if i connect all four to the supplied power cable?

Solution
You'll average 2-3°C drop in cpu temps at high loads. Which does nothing for idle and little if anything overall other than make wiring and header use a pain with 4 fans.

Yes, it can be an issue. The fans are not identical, even if from the same source. 2 fans will spin faster than the other 2, and that can create a chopping sound at certain duty cycles. You'd need to have the slower fans as intake and the faster fans as exhaust on the aio to avoid that.

Fans are rarely run at rpm. They are almost always run according to a duty cycle which is set by the temp. At idle temps (30°C) you'll get a 30% duty cycle. At 70°C you get 100% duty cycle. So if the nzxt is a 1500rpm fan and the Noctua a 1000rpm fan, at 30% you get @ 500/350rpm, at...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll average 2-3°C drop in cpu temps at high loads. Which does nothing for idle and little if anything overall other than make wiring and header use a pain with 4 fans.

Yes, it can be an issue. The fans are not identical, even if from the same source. 2 fans will spin faster than the other 2, and that can create a chopping sound at certain duty cycles. You'd need to have the slower fans as intake and the faster fans as exhaust on the aio to avoid that.

Fans are rarely run at rpm. They are almost always run according to a duty cycle which is set by the temp. At idle temps (30°C) you'll get a 30% duty cycle. At 70°C you get 100% duty cycle. So if the nzxt is a 1500rpm fan and the Noctua a 1000rpm fan, at 30% you get @ 500/350rpm, at 50% duty cycle it's 750/500rpm and at max is 1500/1000rpm. Roughly. There's no sync unless all fans run identical speeds and even then there's a ±.

Honestly it's not worth it. Not anymore with the way fan design and performance has increased in the last few years. 10 years ago, sure. Now, no.

Reactions: Aleved
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never had an issue with my X61 fans, even with a i7-3770k at 4.9GHz. Stuck it on Silent mode and just let it do its thing. If you find the fans ramping up due to opening apps etc swap it from cpu dependent to liquid. Solves that in a heartbeat.