[SOLVED] Noctua DH-15 + 3900X temperatures

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
I switched from an AIO which gave me nothing but trouble (Kraken Z73) to the best air cooler I could get: Noctua NH-D15. I knew that going from a 360mm AIO to an air cooler would cost me some temperatures.

My case is not optimal for airflow (Fractal Define R7, top closed, front door closed), and I'm seeing temperatures of 60 -> low 70s while gaming, and 79C when I'm stressing with Prime95 (small FFT's) or Realbench.

During gaming (Warzone), the spikes to 70 degrees are very short - I only notice them because I'm tracking the hottest core (TCtl)

Is this to be expected on a Ryzen 3900X?

Solution
I don't know how effective those silent chassis really are. Supposedly, they help with certain frequencies(kilohertz) that users may be sensitive to...
It's otherwise inferior to open mesh, which can be just as quiet(dBA), without the higher operating thermals that come with closed panel designs.

Oh well, you like the chassis, and that's fine as long as it doesn't have a major impact on anything inside it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Welcome to Ryzen 3000!
Those spikes are normal, and something you'll have to get used to.

If you have a mid range to high end gpu, it is not ideal to have the top panel closed; that will contribute to higher thermals, except if you have a blower model.
If there's no issues there, then no big deal.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Welcome to Ryzen 3000!
Those spikes are normal, and something you'll have to get used to.

If you have a mid range to high end gpu, it is not ideal to have the top panel closed; that will contribute to higher thermals, except if you have a blower model.
If there's no issues there, then no big deal.
I've got a 2070 Super so yeah, it dumps heat into the case. But I like the silence of the closed panel. Decisions ...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know how effective those silent chassis really are. Supposedly, they help with certain frequencies(kilohertz) that users may be sensitive to...
It's otherwise inferior to open mesh, which can be just as quiet(dBA), without the higher operating thermals that come with closed panel designs.

Oh well, you like the chassis, and that's fine as long as it doesn't have a major impact on anything inside it.

Solution