Question Noctua nf-A12 and nf-A14 problems using 'Y' splitter.

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Hello,

I've bought theese awesome two PWM fans for my mini-itx case:
Noctua Fan Chromax Black Swap PWM NF-A14 140mm (max PWM speed 1200rpm);
Noctua Fan NF-A12x25 120mm PWM 120mm (max PWM speed 1500).

My motherboard Gigabyte GA-z170n-Wifi has 1 PWM 4-pin for CPU and 1 4-pin PWM for fans.
I've used 'Y' splitter that came with the nf-A12 fan (one end is with 4-pins (master), and the other end is with 3 Pins (slave).

The nf-a12 works on any end, slave or master. But the nf-A14 fan doesnt work neither on one or the other end. When i launch computer it just spins briefly and stops and makes a ticking sound. The other fan spins without problem no mater if he is on slave or master.

nf-A14 works fine alone, if i unplug nf-a12 from the 'Y' splitter.

What am i doing wrong? It should work. Right now , with the same 'Y splitter' i am using nf-a12 and my old case's fan (fractal design define nano s).

Please help!

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
After countless trials i found this setup that sort'off "Works".
Swapped extension cord from nf-a14 to one in the box of nf-a12
Used Y splitter:
nf-a12 (Loud Noise Adapter - slave end of the Y pin).
nf-a14 (master end of Y splitter).
Bios Manual speeds // 1.0PWM per 1C).

Unfortuantely if i go lower (0.75 which would be perfect), nf-a12 silences and ticks and clicks and never starts.

I did not expect bot theese fans to be so noisy. Even with nf-a14 at 700RPM, and nf-a12 at 850RPM.

Also it consntatly tiks. Without loud noise adapter on nf-a-12 it spins way too loud and fast. Tried SpeedFan software it does not detect my motherboards fans.

I messed up when i bought a 2000RPM fan. In some video review someone said 1500max PWM speed, that was good enough for me, that would have worked. Now im in a pickle.

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
After more testing. I've discovered, that the problem is that nf-a12 lowers speed is 500RPM. nf-a14 lowees speed form what i've tested is 600 RPM. Lowe than that they will stop.

THAT would be perfect for PWM. When i set in bios 0.75PWM value 1degree, i can enjoy utter silence with both fans off when i browse. Unfortunately, the nf-a12 starts ticking like hell when it gets close to the threshhold of spining. LOUD.

When i enter a game in 0.75 setup. Bot fans start spining. When i exit. The front intake nf-a14 keeps spining at low RPM's. The nf-a12 stops And it NVER starts again even if i toast my computer by entering a game again. And it does not start even after restart, shut down mutliple times. It's like it rememvers.

So i am using a 1PWM=1'C with fans spining unnecesarry at low temps when browing. Makes no sense of having PWM fans that way.

This instability might be caused by my MB bios... maybe. I will try update it to newest one and see how it works. Maybe fan header will show in SpeedFan app, because now it doesnt show.

DonoDonato

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
I've came to conclusion. My CPU fan header is PWM. My System fan header is not PWM (in manual it sais 12v/PWM reverse compatible - whatever that means). That's why my fans were having issues.

My computer had inside a Be quiet pure rock CPU cooler it has a PWM fan that is 2000 RPM. It maches speed of the nf-a12 (2000 RPM max).

I've put the low noise adapter into CPU fan header. Attached Y splitter to it. And plugged CPU fan and nf-a12 to it (nf-a12 got smooth and quit). I hooked nf-a15 to the system fan header (it is stil noisy).

I've actually tried hooking nf-a12 and nf-a14 to the CPu fan's PWM heather - they work fine together. I tried hoooking the CPU cooler's fan to the system fan header - it got loud and obnoxious even just at 1000RPM.

I came to conclusion - the system fan header is bad with PWM fans even if they call it 'PWM reverse compatible/12v) fan header. Sure it works but it makes fan work as regular fans and not as pwm. I know that for sure because the nf-a14 starts spining only at speed of 600RPM on the SYstem fan header. And i've seen ti spin at 550 on the PWM fan header.