[SOLVED] Noctua NF-S12A Flx 3pin

Jun 9, 2020
Noctua NF-S12A Flx 3pin

Got 2 of these fans and they are quiet so far.

However I'm not sure if they are running at full rpm.

My set up has both S12A(2 front) and 1 stock fan (case top) connected to a fan splitter which is connected to the psu.

Should there be another out to the motherboard sys fan in?

Built by a friend and he says there should be as my bios only show Cpu and rear fan.

Also, can the fan curve be controlled via bios or Msi Dragon Centre?

Solution
So why in the world are your fans connected to the PSU?

I can, maybe, understand the stock fan that came with the case being connected to the PSU if it is a fan model that only comes with a four pin molex connector, with is the big, fat, four pin connector that looks like this:

4-pin-molex-power-cord-extension-cable-12-18-24-and-36-15_1800x.jpeg

But for sure your S12A Flex 3 pin fans should be connected to the fan headers on your motherboard. That motherboard can handle both 4 pin PWM and 3 pin DC controlled fans on it's fan headers. You may need to go into the BIOS and configure the fan header for DC operation, as PWM mode is likely default and I don't know for...

I can, maybe, understand the stock fan that came with the case being connected to the PSU if it is a fan model that only comes with a four pin molex connector, with is the big, fat, four pin connector that looks like this:

But for sure your S12A Flex 3 pin fans should be connected to the fan headers on your motherboard. That motherboard can handle both 4 pin PWM and 3 pin DC controlled fans on it's fan headers. You may need to go into the BIOS and configure the fan header for DC operation, as PWM mode is likely default and I don't know for sure if those headers on that motherboard are capable of auto detect self configuration or not, but they probably are. Check the user manual.

Depending on the model of the other fan, it too may likely be able to be connected to the motherboard and that motherboard has four system fan headers so there are plenty for all three fans. In reality you could run 8 fans off those four headers, if you needed to.

Page 35 of the user manual explains all about the fan configuration settings in the BIOS and can be located here:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Solution
Jun 9, 2020

But for sure your S12A Flex 3 pin fans should be connected to the fan headers on your motherboard. That motherboard can handle both 4 pin PWM and 3 pin DC controlled fans on it's fan headers. You may need to go into the BIOS and configure the fan header for DC operation, as PWM mode is likely default and I don't know for sure if those headers on that motherboard are capable of auto detect self configuration or not, but they probably are. Check the user manual.

Depending on the model of the other fan, it too may likely be able to be connected to the motherboard and that motherboard has four system fan headers so there are plenty for all three fans. In reality you could run 8 fans off those four headers, if you needed to.

Page 35 of the user manual explains all about the fan configuration settings in the BIOS and can be located here:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf
Case is CM NR600 with ODD (only version available in my country)

Current fan set up so far from what I see physically on my mobo
CPU - CPU (detected in bios)
Sys 1 - Rear Fan (detected in bios)
Sys 2 - Not in use
Sys 3 - Not in use
Sys 4 - Not in use
Pump - Not in use

I believe my friend connected the 2 SFa and top fan to a splitter which goes to Psu as my fans are all running.

So I should connect case top fan (using stock) to 1 sys header
Plug both noctuas to a splitter and connect it to another sys header?

I would connect all case fans to their OWN headers. There are four system headers, you have three fans. The CPU cooler will connect to it's own fan header, the CPU_FAN header. The only question REALLY is what type of connection that stock fan that came with your case has because some very cheap fans don't have normal three or four pin fan header connectors, and only have the four pin Molex type connector that allows it to run at full speed at all times with no possibility of speed control and no way to connect them to the motherboard. Can you take a picture of where all three fans connect to the splitter that goes to the power supply and post that image here?

TRENDING THREADS