[SOLVED] noctua nh-d14 or evga CLC 360mm and other questions

DeumBelli

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
ok so i actually have a few questions here, first off here is my specs.
i9 10900k
asus rog strix z490e gaming
nh d15 cpu cooler
lian li lancool II case

i currently have the nh d15 installed as my cpu cooler but in a few days i have a new hybrid cooled gpu coming in along with the evga clc 360mm aio.

so my first question is would it be worth taking off the noctua and replacing it with the 360 aio?

my second question is that i have never had the oppurtunity of having any aio cooling before and since i now have 2 coming in (aio cpu cooler and aio cooler on the gpu) will i run into any issues getting both installed with my motherboard? i already know my case has support to have both installed at once.

and lastly , the only way i feel like makes sense to do it it cpu rad as front intake and gpu as top exhaust since thats the only way they will fit, and of course i have my pc fan as an exhaust in the back. once they are installed i will have 3 case fans left over and room to put 2 fans at the bottom of my case, would it be worth putting those for more intake?

Last edited:
Solution
The title of your post mentions NH-D14; did you mean NH-D15?

Since you will have two aio coolers in hand, you might as well install them and see how you do.
If it does not work out, you can always revert to the NH-D15.
Again, since you have fans available, go ahead and try them mounted at the bottom and see what the results are.
You can always back out that option.

I watched the video above for the first time.
It mostly looked reasonable.
Of interest was the note about expecting a aio lifetime of perhaps 6 years.

The measurements were done on an open air test bench, not in a case.
A liquid cooler with the radiator mounted in a case will be in a catch 22 situation.
Do I mount the radiator to take in fresh air to get the maximum cpu...
Reactions: Phaaze88
The title of your post mentions NH-D14; did you mean NH-D15?

Since you will have two aio coolers in hand, you might as well install them and see how you do.
If it does not work out, you can always revert to the NH-D15.
Again, since you have fans available, go ahead and try them mounted at the bottom and see what the results are.
You can always back out that option.

I watched the video above for the first time.
It mostly looked reasonable.
Of interest was the note about expecting a aio lifetime of perhaps 6 years.

The measurements were done on an open air test bench, not in a case.
A liquid cooler with the radiator mounted in a case will be in a catch 22 situation.
Do I mount the radiator to take in fresh air to get the maximum cpu cooling?
The catch is that the warmed radiator airflow will be used to cool the graphics card and the motherboard vrm heat sinks.

OTOH, if you mount the radiator to expel heated air, it is going to use warm internal case air for cpu cooling, making the cpu cooling part less effective.

I suspect that no matter what, any solution is going to work.
The cpu will run under the 100c. throttle point and the gpu will run as fast as it can giving the cooling available to it.

Solution