Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Case: Cougar Challenger-B
CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: G.Skill Trident X 2x8 GB
Video: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB

Will all of this fit? I've seen a few posts that say yes, just wanted to confirm that my RAM/VC wouldn't obstruct, particularly the fins that attach to the RAM.

Solution
You have the option to actually move the fan that's above your RAM up about half an inch on the NH-D14, but I wouldn't bother. Instead, I'd simply purchase standard size RAM without heat spreaders that extend above the top of the RAM. This will give you plenty of room without taking on the additional risk of buying low-profile RAM, which can be more problematic than standard size RAM. I purchased Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00 and got it when it was on sale at Micro Center in a combo deal, believe it was $55 for two 4 GB sticks. It's served me well so far.

Here is a link to the official compatibility list on Noctua's site:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

By the way, the NH-U14S...
G

i dont think so..i would play it safe with gskill sniper ram or corsair vengeance low profile....have a look at these builds, you will get an idea...http://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/asus-motherboard-maximusvihero#qq=1&h=15 the 5th build has fitted a similar config by changhing the orientation of the cooler...
PS: you dont really need such a beastly ram :p

md1032

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have the option to actually move the fan that's above your RAM up about half an inch on the NH-D14, but I wouldn't bother. Instead, I'd simply purchase standard size RAM without heat spreaders that extend above the top of the RAM. This will give you plenty of room without taking on the additional risk of buying low-profile RAM, which can be more problematic than standard size RAM. I purchased Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00 and got it when it was on sale at Micro Center in a combo deal, believe it was $55 for two 4 GB sticks. It's served me well so far.

Here is a link to the official compatibility list on Noctua's site:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

By the way, the NH-U14S has effectively replaced the NH-D14. It is actually slightly cheaper and benchmarks just as well, if not better. I bought the NH-D14 based on reputation and, of course, getting a good deal on one (cheaper than the NH-U14S at the time of purchase), but if I had to buy a cooler today, I'd definitely just get the U14S. The D14 is just too big.

Solution

HotShotX

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks for the info about moving the fan, I'll keep it in mind as I assemble the system. Worst case scenario, I can remove the heat spreaders from the G.Skill RAM, or place them out the outermost slots, since I'm not using all 4 at this time (2x8).

When I picked the CPU Cooler, I looked over PCPartPicker for the highest rated, followed by quietest. The Noctua NH-D14 was at the top. Looking over your recommendation of the -U14S, I'd probably still stick with the -D14 based on noise levels (12.6-19.8 dbA vs. 19.2-24.6 dbA). They both hit the same price and both appear to do the same job, although the -U14S is smaller. Something to consider if I can't get the -D14 to fit, though I should be able to make it work.

Looking up the h100i, I see that it is a water cooling system, which I have zero experience with, and didn't want to experiment with on a new PC. Furthermore, as I want to run a very quiet system, I see the h100i runs at 36.78 dbA, which is far higher than preferred.

G

you dont really need experience with aio water cooling sollutions but if you are going for a good looking system, i do recommend the h100i over the noctua (it looks pathetic)...if you want only performance, then you choice is correct...but sound levels also depend on the case you are using...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador