Noctua NH-D15 Fitting?

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
I am going to purchase the Noctua NH-D15 cooler for my i7 4790k to overclock it and I am just wondering if my Corsair Vengeance and G.Skill Ripjaws X ram will not cause any issues with height or such. Thanks.

Solution
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp
shows you exact dimensions of the cooler. Get similar diagram of dimensions of your motherboard or measure it yourself whatever it is. Both GSkill and Corsair list on their products pages the exact heights of their memory sticks, so just compare and see for yourself. Corsair vengeance are the shorter sticks and are easier to fit so if it's a choice between the two, go with those. If you have 2 of each already, then corsairs will go closer to the cooler, and gskill ones will fit further away (hopefully). Double check the measurements.

Sedivy

Estimable
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp
shows you exact dimensions of the cooler. Get similar diagram of dimensions of your motherboard or measure it yourself whatever it is. Both GSkill and Corsair list on their products pages the exact heights of their memory sticks, so just compare and see for yourself. Corsair vengeance are the shorter sticks and are easier to fit so if it's a choice between the two, go with those. If you have 2 of each already, then corsairs will go closer to the cooler, and gskill ones will fit further away (hopefully). Double check the measurements.

Solution
Keep in mind that it's not just the RAM clearance issue you'll have to worry about, it's also the case you're putting it in. You can raise the fan on the NH-D15 up to get some clearance for the RAM but then you're possibly running in to issues with how much CPU cooler height your case supports. Also when you raise the fan, you're decreasing the amount of air flowing through the cooler it self, so at some point you're going to hit the point where it's just not worth the hit to the cooling.

Corsair Vengeance comes in two different models, low profile and their huge heatsink sizes. The Vengeance Low Profile should be around 32mm, which means you won't have to adjust the height of the fan. The standard Vengeance is 52.5mm, so you'll need to adjust the fan up by 21mm.

Ripjaws X comes in at 40mm, so you're going to have to raise the fan by 8mm to compensate for that.

Overall I'd say look at a difference CPU cooler for your setup. Have you looked at the Cryorig models at all?