Noctua NH D15 Putting RAM between the fans

Apr 4, 2018
Hello,

So I was looking at the Noctua diagram of the NH D15: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp

And looking at it, I was wondering, if I had 1-2 sticks of RAM only, could I put it in the 64 mm space even when running in dual fan mode? The gap would still be there, and such the space is still there, but is there some inherent issue in doing this? In addition, what if I put them in the slots not overhung by the fans? Or am I mistaken and the fan is so big it covers all the slots...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You can only fit 1 stick of ram in that space, the only way you MAY be able to fit 2 sticks of ram is if there is enough room to fit them both in the same channel. But then you lose out on performance.

Your best bet? Get non heatsinked ram and move the fan up a little so it will fit. Corsair LPX is a good choice. The heatsinks don't do anything anyway.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard is it? I'm guessing older generation where first dimm slot order is closest to cpu socket seeing your question if moving ram further out under the fan would help. Might still get away with having higher ram as in 44mm but will be close.

These days mobo's dimm slot order begins from the back so in dual channel config the dimm slot closest to cpu socket is empty as with here.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Noctua-NH-D15-CPU-Cooler-Review/Features-and-Cooler-Design

15-board-cooler-right.jpg

It does look like first dimm has enough room there but being a different motherboard, it's hard to say if your dimm slots are same distance from cpu socket, they'd be pretty close id imagine. Actually im not sure if measurements from cpu socket to dimm slot is standard on all motherboards. Have you searched your motherboard + d15 to see if there are any pictures available?

Apr 4, 2018

The motherboard is the Asus Z370-E Gaming, couldn't find any pictures, sorry.

Apr 4, 2018

The motherboard is the Asus Z370-E Gaming, couldn't find any pictures, sorry.